    I remember someone posting a link for using the WinXP console to fix dual
    boot systems a while back, but cant seem to find it.. Something along those
    lines would really help..

    JesterDev, Jul 31, 2003

  2. JesterDev

    Auric__ Guest

    Were you able to boot into Windows *before* you removed lilo?

    Auric__, Jul 31, 2003

  3. JesterDev

    JesterDev Guest

    Yes I could. I was able to boot into win2k with no problems at all.
    I also winxp installed, which came with the computer, but dont have
    the cd's for it. So when I got past lilo it game me another choice
    of windows 2000 pro, or XP.

    JesterDev, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Howdy!

    If LILO was in the master boot record, you also need to do a FIXMBR.

    Try that off of the recovery console.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Hey, Ralph! When are you going to reply to my 'Outlook/NNTP' post?

    I'm still waiting...

    --

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Howdy!

    Didn't see it. See, I have this thing called "a life" that keeps me
    from being on the Internet 24/7 ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2003
  7. JesterDev

    Drosini Jada Guest

    Yerk! What a jerk!

    *PLONK*

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003
  9. Howdy!

    Much snippage ensues ...
    Huh? Let's see - "I have set up a VIRTUAL NNTP service on my
    EXCHANGE 2000 box."

    Exchange is doing the NNTP access.

    Now, you can read news in public folders all day long. But do keep
    up - that's not the same thing as doing news NATIVELY within Outlook.

    Now - since they're PUBLIC folders, they're on the EXCHANGE server.
    Again, the Outlook box isn't doing news .. the Exchange server is, and is
    presenting it in a format that Outlook can handle.

    Try shutting Exchange down and see how far your "public folders" run
    NNTP news feed is through your Exchange server, ne? Others, without
    Exchange, use Outlook Express as the NNTP agent.

    Without either, you get no NNTP service.

    Therefore no news.
    Reading out of the Exchange Server's public folders.

    My, is there a reading comprehension problem here? The EXCHANGE
    server is doing the news feed. The OUTLOOK client can't do shit without
    SOMETHING to provice the NNTP service for it. Be it Outlook Express (what
    mere mortals are stuck with) or Exchange (what you're using). But shut that
    server off, remove all instances of MSIMN.* from your system, and see how
    much news you can get.
    Sure. I don't think YOU do - you keep driving my point home, and
    then wanting to argue with me.
    Define "read news". You read postings in your Exchange Server's
    public folders. They happen to be news postings that the Exchange Server
    imported.

    Now, shut that Exchange server down, and attach to a NNTP server.
    Oooh - look, there's MSIMN running in the background!

    I stand by what I said.
    As soon as you correct your text, I will. But I am NOT incorrect.

    Next you'll try to tell me an ADM-3 terminal can "do news". When
    it's attached to a Unix box, sure. But not without SOMETHING ELSE to do the
    computational portion.

    Outlook re: NNTP news is just barely one step above the ADM-3
    terminal. It can NOT do NNTP news on its own. It requires a provider of
    some sort to handle that. In your case, it's Exchange Server. But if
    there's no Exchange Server, the default is to shell to Outlook Express.
    Remove OE, and Outlook then says "News? What's news? Never heard of that
    stuff ..." in effect.

    Try it sometimes.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 4, 2003
  10. Semantics is right. I can quite happily remove any and all instances
    of msimn.exe and still read news using OUTLOOK. Your hangup about
    where the feed is coming from is your failing.

    Still, you admit that you were wrong regarding your 'blasting' me
    about using OE, which was the main bone of contention, so I guess
    that's about as close as we're going to get to a resolution. ;o)

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 5, 2003