    whatever that is?

    TIA!

    Mark

    gmark, Sep 7, 2005

  2. gmark

    ASAAR Guest

    There are glues specifically made for plastics. Nearly two years
    ago the tiny extended "latch" on a plastic battery door snapped off.
    Due to the exceedingly small surface area that needed to be glued,
    adn which also had to undergo a small amount of strain when it was
    used I was almost certain that no glue could possibly work. But I
    went out and bought one that did the job, and if you can't get a
    replacement or have your flash repaired, I'd suggest you try it, or
    something similar. The one I used is made by Loctite and is called
    Plastix (Advanced Plastic Bonder) and says that it works with hard
    and soft plastic, including polyethylene and polypropylene. It
    consists of a very small bottle of Surface Activator and an equally
    small tube of the Bonding Agent.

    Info. from the package:
    How is one to know? You didn't identify the flash or the
    manufacturer.

    ASAAR, Sep 7, 2005

  3. gmark

    Hunt Guest

    Farily common problem. My old studio kept about 1 doz hot-shoe mts. for
    Vivitar 283-285's. Depending on the make, you should be able to get the job
    done in most camera repair shops. If it is a sophisticated TTL, especially for
    a dSLR, you might be better off stopping by an authorized service station for
    your brand. Most business telephone directories (US anyway) should list for
    whom a shop is authorized in their ad. If in doubt, check out camera maker's
    Web site and see if service shops are listed, especially for your area. If
    not, then e-mail the mfgr and ask.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Nor will any other glue as that is a high-stress flange. You might get some
    additional, but limited, service from cyanoacrolates or somesuch.

    Charles Schuler, Sep 7, 2005
  5. gmark

    ASAAR Guest

    The glue I previously mentioned worked far better than the
    cyanoacrylates that I first tried. Whether it will be suitable for
    the flange is open to question, but it's not an esoteric item and
    costs about as much as most Super Glues. As long as the flange
    itself is not designed to flex (and most hard plastics aren't)
    there's a good chance it will work.

    ASAAR, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Loctite makes some very useful stuff. I am going to check this out as this
    household always has one or two broken plastic parts. Thanks!

    Charles Schuler, Sep 7, 2005
  7. gmark

    ASAAR Guest

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, Sep 7, 2005
  8. gmark

    Roy Guest

    Hi there.

    There used to be, and perhaps still is, a guy in the USA who made, in his
    home workshop, solid Aluminium replacement hot shoes for Vivitar 283s. Any
    Camera repairer could order and fit them, and they did not cost all that
    much more than the Vivitar Plastic ones. In fact anyone with a bit of small
    scale electicals know how could fit them.

    Roy G

    Roy, Sep 8, 2005
  9. gmark

    HvdV Guest

    In a similar case, after glueing failed, I took of the entire plastic foot
    with a file and replaced it with a little stainless steel plate with a hole
    for the electrical contacts, and glued to the stub. Sounds like a lot of
    work, but since the parts are all small it wasn't. Aluminium might be even
    easier.

    Good luck! Hans

    HvdV, Sep 12, 2005