    quality than than.

    Thanks in advance
    Squelch41

    squelch41, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Hi Squelch41,

    I can't help with the hiring of a scanner, however have you thought of
    joining a camera club?

    Here in Edinburgh the Midlothian club has a digital side and I believe they
    have a pretty good scanner. This will also let you get more out of the
    hobby, meet new people and access to other things like dark-rooms and
    studio's.

    Ask your local photo store as they may have details.

    Cheers,
    Stephen

    Stephen Leslie, Feb 26, 2004

  3. squelch41

    Ian Grant Guest

    Leicester - Picture House in Granby Street
    London - Photofusion in Brixton

    Both have good quality neg scanners which can be hired by the hour

    Ian

    Ian Grant, Feb 26, 2004
  4. squelch41

    RustY © Guest

    You might try your local photo labs. They would scan your slides for you
    and put them onto CD.

    RustY ©, Feb 27, 2004
  5. I can scan them for you at 5400 dpi, 48-bit colour space, +ICE dust/scratch
    removal (for all except b/w film).
    This gives a 200MB+ file size in TIFF.
    Cost for a batch of 60 would be £3.50 each including CDRs (3 shots per CDR)
    for negatives/filmstrips
    or £3.00 each for mounted slides. (Raw scans - no colour correction,
    cropping etc)

    Richard McBride

    Richard McBride, Feb 27, 2004
  6. squelch41

    TP Guest

    £3.00 EACH???????

    Don't give up the day job!

    ;-)

    TP, Feb 27, 2004
  7. You're right - I really should charge more...

    ;-)

    Richard McBride, Feb 27, 2004
  8. squelch41

    David Byford Guest

    Calumet have about a dozen branches in the UK. They have a large
    rental catalogue as a PDF file on their website

    http://www.calumetphoto.com

    Last time I looked you could get a Nikon Supercool Scan 4000 for £45
    for the day or a Nikon Supercool Scan 8000 for £65. The rates go up if
    the branch you visit doesn't have what you want in and they have to
    get it from another branch.

    David Byford
    My email isn't funny

    David Byford, Feb 27, 2004
  9. squelch41

    Notty Pine Guest

    £3.50 for a batch of 60, including CDR's, sounds reasonable to me.

    Notty Pine, Feb 27, 2004
  10. I don't know whether it's reasonable, but it's an impressive resolution.
    I have a Canoscan 2710 which produces v. nice scans permitting good
    quality prints up to about 24" from a decent 35mm slide or negative.
    These come around 27Mb as a TIFF. a 200Mb Tiff sounds pdg.!

    What do you do about getting a dust free enviroment for scanning? Any
    tips?

    It's the dust (or rather lack of it!) that makes me so satisfied with my
    digital camera. ;-)

    Mike
    --
    Michael J Davis
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Mike - The 200+ MB TIFF is for a 48-bit colour depth, of course - you can
    halve this for 24-bit.
    At 5400 dpi, the limiting factor is usually film grain, except for really
    slow slide films. Colour negs seem to be worse in this respect than slide
    films, but they also tend to have faster emulsions.
    The nice thing about 5400 dpi is that you select a smaller area of the neg,
    and still get good results, (grain permitting).
    Dust is less of a problem than focus: some slide holders are better than
    others, and some processors and/or films seem to produce flatter strips than
    others. For dust, avoid carpets and curtains, don't wear wool, keep the
    dog/cat out, and clean regularly. Use air cans to get rid of surface dust on
    negs, and handle with cotton gloves.
    I share your sentiments about digital - the lack of dust etc really is nice,
    although, if you use a DSLR, I suspect that dust will happen eventually,
    even with the best cleaning regimes...
    Richard

    Richard McBride, Feb 28, 2004