    real phone lines.
    You should be fine then. You'll have a phone line with the phone number
    you're porting, and then the 800 number will "ring to" that same line.

    Isaiah Beard, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    That makes sense. The virtual numbers would all go to one actual physical
    connection and ring on the same phone. Since the ATA has two phone jacks,
    I assume that I could have one line assigned to each jack and theoretically
    carry on two simultaneous conversations, and perhaps conference the two
    lines. Does that seem right?

    Vox Humana, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Rick Merrill

    Yaser Doleh Guest

    That will depend on the software of TA and the VOIP service provider.

    Yaser Doleh, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Rick Merrill

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I don't know of an ATA that will allow conferencing of the two phone
    ports. However a 2-line phone such as the BT Converse 2025 will do this.

    See www.shop.bt.com/invt/caw112

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Rick Merrill

    Vox Humana Guest

    Yes. I was thinking about using a 2 line phone to conference the lines.
    It's really not something that I would do often, but if I had the
    capability, I might use it. Looking at the Linksys PAP2 ATA, the
    documentations say that unique numbers can be assigned to each phone jack.
    Never having dealt with this, it is hard to understand exactly what you can
    and can't do. What really pisses me off is that the ATAs are locked to a
    particular VOIP provider. I think if I purchase a device, it should be
    useable on any compatible service. I can't imagine that this won't be
    challenged. It in no different than when the phone company compelled you to
    buy (or lease) equipment exclusively from them.

    Vox Humana, Feb 25, 2005