Renaming Domain Controllers in mixed mode

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Guan Foo Wah, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. Guan Foo Wah

    Guan Foo Wah Guest

    Hi,

    I am currently studying 70-292 using Syngress and in that book stated that I
    cannot rename a domain controller in 2000 mixed mode but I just did.
    According to this book, I can only rename a domain controller only in a 2003
    domain functional level, not in 2000 Native or mixed.

    I have a Windows 2003 Standard running as DC and a WinNT 4.0 as a BDC.
    Forest functional is in 2000 mode and domain functional is in 2000 Mixed
    mode. After renaming the Windows 2003 DC (DNS and Netbios name), I rebooted
    the machine. After went online, the WinNT 4.0 BDC can still connect to the
    Win2003.

    I have another Win2000 DC running in a totally different domain (in 2000
    Native mode) but in the same forest and this machine I am not able to
    rename. So I am slightly confused here. What is actually happening or the
    book is in error? Would be glad if someone is able to help.

    Guan Foo Wah, Aug 31, 2004

  2. circa Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:40:07 +0800, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Guan Foo Wah () said,
    The book is wrong, and I've demonstrated just what you did numerous
    times to prove that statement wrong whenever I've seen it. :)

    OTOH, you cannot rename a *domain* unless you're at 2003 functional
    level.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 1, 2004