    these)?

    TIA
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 12, 2005

  2. Duncan Chesley

    Ken Wright Guest

    With your files in the order you want them in Windows Explorer, select them
    all, hit F2, give them a name and hit CTRL+ENTER

    Regards
    Ken...............

    Ken Wright, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Hi Ken,

    Perhaps I should have noted that I'm using WinXP SP2.

    I arrange the files in order by dragging the thumbnails.
    I delete the thumbnails db file.
    I use Edit-Select All
    I then press F2 and the file that is #1 in an alphabetical sort has
    the name highlighted.
    I then enter Name,jpg into its name field and press CRTL+Enter
    That file is named Name.jpg

    The other files are then named Name(N).jpg where N starts at 1 and
    goes up in the alphabetical order of the original name.

    The same thing happens if I don't delete the thumbnail db file except
    that I get a warning message about renaming that file.

    So that's doing something like what I want. But it is not using the
    arranging I did with the dragging.

    What am I missing?

    Thanks!
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    Don't mess with thumbs.db, just deselect it by ctrl-clicking
    on it. With all the *image* files selected, right-click on
    the first one and select "Rename" and pick a name. The rest
    will just happen automagically :)

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Duncan Chesley

    Joan Guest

    I was just playing with that, and it seems you need to add the first file to
    the selection last. It appears the file that allows the rename (after
    hitting F2) is always the last selected.

    Joan, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    Exactly. That's why right-clicking is a surer way than F2
    when you start the reaname sequence - the one you
    right-click will *always* be the first in the new sequence.

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Yes. But the second one in the sequence and the ones following that
    are indexed in alphabetical order of the original name.

    Also, There are no leading zeroes. If I have more than 10 pictures,
    the alphabetical sort for the Irfanview slide show will not work
    properly.

    Am I still missing something?

    If you are experimenting with this, be aware that you have to Undo one
    name at a time, and there are only 10 undo steps available.

    This seems like such a basic presentation task. I'm pretty surprised
    that the picture viewing programs are all so braindead.

    Thanks for the help!
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    Not on mine they weren't. Are you sure you haven't got a
    sort order set under "Arrange icons by..."? If you have it
    set to (say) "Name" order than even after you rearrange them
    manually it will still use "Name" order when you rename
    them. Turn "Auto arrange" off.

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Duncan Chesley

    Battleax Guest

    You simply can't rename files based on their position in the Explorer window

    Battleax, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    You simply can... I just did - several times to check it
    wasn't a fluke ;-)

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Nothing is checked in there.

    Another Windows Weirdness, I suppose.

    Thanks!
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    :-(

    Annoying. I know it works, I just tried it several times.
    Clearly there's some magic setting that effects this and
    isn't the same on yours and mine. Sorry.

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Duncan Chesley

    Pinehollow Guest

    What version of Windows are you running. I have Windows XP Pro, SP2, and
    there is no
    way that I can see to turn "Auto arrange" off. How do you do this.

    Don

    Pinehollow, Dec 13, 2005
  14. Duncan Chesley

    John Bean Guest

    Well, I just right click the window background, select
    "Arrange Icons by..." and check/uncheck "Auto Arrange".
    Works for me :)

    I'd lay money on the confusion being caused by which "Theme"
    you care to use, or whether or not you use active desktop,
    or... well, you get the drift. It works just fine on my XP
    Pro SP2 with latest patches, I use "classic" presentation of
    folders (see menu: "Tools->Folder Options...") - maybe that
    makes a difference. Too many little magic settings in XP
    Explorer to try to guess which is causing it not to work for
    you.

    John Bean, Dec 13, 2005
  15. Duncan Chesley

    Ed Ruf Guest

    FWIW, I'm running the classic start menu and with Active Desktop off
    and the auto arrange option is grayed out.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Dec 13, 2005
  16. Same Windows version as you. If I choose Arrange icons by Name, the
    thumbs are sorted. When I then drag a thumbnail into a different
    location and look at the Arrange By list again, the checkmark by
    "Name" is gone. I never have checked Autoarrange.

    So how do you folks sort images into the correct order for a slide
    show?

    Thanks for the help.
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 13, 2005
  17. Duncan Chesley

    Pinehollow Guest

    I see what you are talking about now. I was right clicking on the folder
    that I was using and then clicking on "View" to choose how to arrange the
    files. You are using a global method. OK

    Don

    Pinehollow, Dec 13, 2005
  18. Duncan Chesley

    Battleax Guest

    It's disabled in Detail and List view.

    Battleax, Dec 13, 2005
  19. Duncan Chesley

    colin. Guest

    Get "Flash Renamer" or any such mass-renaming utility. Manually editing a
    ton of filenames is not fun and you don't need to suffer.

    colin., Dec 13, 2005
  20. Colin,

    Almost. With Free Select I can do what I want, but I have to free
    select the files in exactly the right order. If I want to change the
    order I have to delete all the files after the changed one and
    reselect.

    I can't drag the thumbnails around like I would like to set the order
    like using a light table with slides.

    But I can use it if there isn't anything better. Thanks!
    Duncan

    Duncan Chesley, Dec 14, 2005