Removing Background Colour of GIFs and JPEGs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin*, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Martin*

    Martin* Guest

    Hello!

    Up until recently, I had a number of JPEGs and non-animated GIFS, each with
    its own white background. When they were on my web pages which were also
    white in colour, the background of the JPEGs and GIFs blended with the white
    background of the pages. The result was that only the images were obvious,
    whereas their white backgrounds were not.

    Now that I'm using a light grey background for my web pages, the images'
    white backgrounds are obvious.

    Does anyone know of an app that I can use or webpage that I can access that
    will remove the background of my images so that they can appear on my web
    pages without their white backgrounds?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Martin

    Martin*, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Martin*

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Someone else suggested using Paintshop Pro. I agree, use it or any other
    photo editor.

    However, you have two options. The first is to change the background color
    of all the images to the present background color of your web site. That
    will do in the short run. However, if you want to change your site's
    background color again in the future, you'd have to go and change all the
    picture background colors again. I suggest, rather, that you turn the
    images into transparent .gifs, which have a "see-through" background. The
    method of doing this varies with different photo editors, but generally you
    use the "smart color mask" to mask the background, invert that mask so that
    everything not the background is masked, then paste that masked information
    into a new image using the "paste as new" option. Saving this file as a
    ..gif usually produces a transparent .gif, although your mileage may vary.

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Another consideration, and one that unquestionably also points to using
    transparency, is that as a webmaster, one can't predict what background
    colors a user may have set up for his browsing, on his own system. With
    modern browsers that allow user style sheets, and make switching to them
    as simple as clicking a toolbar icon, one can't match everyone's
    individual preferences with your own choice of backgrounds for those
    images. In the case at hand, OP is changing his site from a white body
    background to another color, but those white backgrounds he's been using
    on all of his images have been showing up, all along, to some users, as
    just that -- white backgrounds on his images, against, say, the
    eye-relief grey backgrounds that they've chosen locally.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Martin*

    Martin* Guest

    Thank you all for your suggestions!