    What woud be the best way forward? Please advise.

    Thanks,
    Mani

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Mani

    philo Guest

    It should be as simple as setting your bios to boot first from cd...
    then boot up, format the drive from the context of the XP install

    philo, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Mani

    Mani Guest

    Thanks,

    My BIOS is setup to boot from CD and it boots;

    It says Press any key to boot from CD - When pressed i get a message
    scanning computer....

    Screen goes blank after that.. I hope there's no problem with picking
    up the boot device.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks in advance...

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Mani

    Mani Guest

    Importantly I have linux loaded on my comp.. I would like to move from
    Linux back tp Win XP...

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Mani

    philo Guest

    Yes...if you can get the XP installation started it will have no trouble
    deleteing the Linux partitions
    however it's bombing out somewhere...
    I guess I'd make sure the cd is clean...
    possibly try another cdrom in the machine

    philo, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Mani

    Mani Guest

    my linux dvd boots up with no issues, and proceeds with the
    installation screens... I just tried it..

    Mani, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Mani

    philo Guest

    well then have a good look at your XP cd...

    dusty, scratched???

    if your Linux DVD boots up ok...the XP cd should boot too

    philo, Mar 5, 2007
  8. Try booting up with the Linux CD and specifying a Fresh Install. Wait
    until the formatting of the drive has finished, then yank the Linux CD and
    insert Microsoft.

    Gary G. Taylor, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Mani

    Whiskers Guest

    Check the Windows CD; eg, can you see anything on it from a 'file
    manager'when you insert the disc while an operating system is running?
    Does it boot on any other machine?

    Is the disc concerned the one provided with that machine when the machine
    was new, or is it one supplied with some other machine? Is it the first
    CD in a boxed set bought over the counter from a reputable supplier?

    Before you installed Linux on that machine, did you 'format' or 'delete'
    all the Windows and OEM files including the 'compressed' files which the
    OEM Windows CD needs to get to to repair or reinstall the Windows system?

    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2007