REMOVE IE

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Hurt, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Hurt

    Hurt Guest

    http://www.vorck.com/remove-ie.html

    How will this benefit me?

    * DCOM will be shut off, preventing possible exploits.
    * TCP/IP will be hardened against some DDOS attacks and malformed
    packet attacks. How? I added settings that NIST recommends.
    * Port 135 will be closed by default (did you know Task Scheduler
    opens it and keeps Port 135 open? Do you still want to complain about
    the fact that I left it out by default?)
    * Your interface will look normal and not stupid, because Web View
    will be removed from the interface
    * Your boot time will be reduced by approximately half
    * Several applications will not install by default but still be
    available (like Hyperterminal, etc)
    * Windows File Protection will be off until you turn it back on
    * Windows will not require you to enter a serial when installing
    * All scripting exploits and many ActiveX exploits will simply not
    work on your machine
    * Several dozen tweaks will be added, including setting the machine
    up so that it appears that IE is installed, when it actually ISN'T, so
    many programs that think it's necessary will "see" version 6.x there
    and not complain.
    * Your PC will also boot faster, depending on variables like your
    hard drive speed. As in, 40 seconds from hitting "on" to login screen.
    On a Pentium-II 400.

    http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/donate.html
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.conspiracy

    ^
    ..
    ..

    Hurt, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Hurt

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Noah Roberts, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Hurt

    Adrian Guest

    Adrian, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Hurt

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Downloads from here OK - ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilprog/modpe081.zip

    Jim Byrd, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Hurt

    Adrian Guest

    Negative, it's blocked either

    Adrian, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Most (if not all) Linux installers thoughtfully remove IE for you
    already. Some don't even install IE in the first place. Such is
    the advancement of modern technology.

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Not needed, just stick in your favorite distro install media,
    boot and tell the installer to use *all* available space on any
    hd for Linux. This should get you rid of IE easily.;)

    BTW
    Sounds like a lame attempt starting some flamewar...

    Michael Heiming, Apr 19, 2005
  8. Hurt

    Adrian Guest

    Simple basic questions of such altered os:

    1. What will be the system's speed, responsiveness etc.? (We already know the
    boot time is reduced by half but how it behaves after system is already
    booted?)

    2. Will this os be usable as a gate for little home network or it is just for
    workstation?
    Will it provide Internet Connection Sharing?
    We already know the IIS is ousted but what if a file sharing via FTP beetwen
    home computers is needed? The same question about NetBIOS etc.?

    3. How software firewalls e.g. Zone Alarm will react?

    Adrian, Apr 19, 2005
  9. anybody wants it ?

    wolfgang schneider, Apr 19, 2005
  10. what ?

    wolfgang schneider, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Hurt

    M. Trimble Guest

    You mean, there's a version of IE for Linux/Unix?????

    M. Trimble, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Hurt

    Hurt Guest

    If I understand your "question", you figure most average Windows users
    won't want to do this; but average Linux users who most probably also
    use Windows would.

    Hurt, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Hurt

    Spajky Guest

    ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utilprog/modpe081.zip

    this is not! :)

    Spajky, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Maybe maybe not. A lot of people are now starting to use Firefox and so
    would probably benefit from removing IE. If there are not any side
    effects...I am sure MS has made removing IE very difficult, if not
    impossible, since IE is part of their doctrine of domination :)

    Michael

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 20, 2005
  15. Hurt

    Hurt Guest

    Maybe maybe not. A lot of people are now starting to use Firefox and
    so

    http://www.firefox.com/

    Yeah besides being way more secure I just like it better. Use to use
    Netscape 4.7 (we all used Netscape at one time) but the growing
    incompatibility with fonts, placement, and CSS, and the constant
    crashes wore me out. I'm sure Microsoft had a lot to do with that,
    just like they did with DR-DOS, the DOS better than DOS. Market share
    gives you a lot of leverage.

    Windows is great for internal use but DCOM, ActiveX, and the Scripting
    Engine make it a security nightmare. Hey at least they keep Symantec
    in business.

    Hurt, Apr 20, 2005
  16. Hurt

    chris-usenet Guest

    Netscape! What's that newfangled thing all about anyway? I prefer
    Mosaic, myself.

    Chris :)

    chris-usenet, Apr 20, 2005
  17. Hurt

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Wow, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The whole point of this
    post was to point out that the removal of IE has nothing to do with
    Linux at all. Why were such directions posted here? It was also a
    joke and dig at windows. I thank everyone for their "help" in this
    matter but umm...I think some of us could exercise their sense of humor
    a bit more.

    Noah Roberts, Apr 20, 2005
  18. hurt_beyond_repair, Apr 21, 2005
  19. Hurt

    Chris Cole Guest

    Netscape is back!
    http://browser.netscape.com/nsb/

    But it's now Firefox *and* IE :-S I'm sure this seemed like a good idea at
    the time, but will cause more problems that it solves. Obviously, this is
    a windows only product :-(

    Chris Cole, Apr 21, 2005
  20. Well, there were UNIX versions of IE (upto 5.0) (for (PA-RISC) HP-UX
    and (SPARC) Solaris) [1], so your question was not really *that* funny/
    wild.

    In any case, there is an IE manpage for Linux [2], so there you go!

    [1] See for example http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q164539

    [2] http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/ielinux.html

    Frank Slootweg, Apr 23, 2005