Remove from 'Safely Remove' [Win7]?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2014.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi folks,

    I haven't been able to find an answer to this via Google so I though I'd ask
    the gurus here.

    With my Win7 desktop machine I have (mainly used for gaming) I have three
    front-loading removable HDD bays. I like this system as it compliments the
    USB / SATA dock I use with my latop. I can use bare drives rather than
    enclosed externals and when I need to move data from drive-to-drive to
    consolidate backup categories I can do it in the desktop at full SATA speed.

    My issue is that, while I need to have HDDs showing up in the 'Safely Remove
    Hardware' list I'd like to remove my boot drive and dedicated Readyboost
    flash-drive from the list. It's not that W7 will let me stop the boot
    drive - it won't - however it will let me stop the Readyboost drive. That's
    a PITA as, once clicked there's no un-clicking it and it then takes a while
    to copy the correct files to it to optimise boot time and programme
    start-ups.

    So removing both would not only save accidental removal of the flash-drive
    but also reduce list-clutter. However I'm yet to find a workable way to do
    it. LOL, 7's certainly not like XP for me - I've learned quite an impressive
    amount of UI customisations for XP.

    Any help with this would be awesome. I've given up on Googling it. :-/

    Cheers,
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2014

  2. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    Installed GodMode yet?

    You should be able to remove via Disk Management from being displayed?
    Select the device, right-click and remove, I've done that with recovery
    partitions that show up, but not sure of the impact for your two
    devices....

    Malcolm, Jan 10, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    I would simply ditch the Readyboost flash drive. You don't mention PC
    specs, but do some testing, it may not be providing you much benefit.
    If necessary, can you not add some RAM pretty cheaply?

    re 'Safely Remove h/w' list - I'm guessing a registry setting? I would
    post that specific question to the MS user Win7 forum community and I
    reckon you've got a good chance of getting a resolution there.

    I found a few bits, sorry, didn't read far - your job! :) here...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/search/search?
    SearchTerm=safely+remove++hardware&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&Curren
    tScope.Filter=windows_7&ContentTypeScope=&x=0&y=0

    Including...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-
    hardware/sata-3-6gb-showing-up-in-safely-remove-hardware/60bf17ac-e7da-
    47fe-81f4-31ec24ae2c4e

    But if you don't find much yourself in the forum, then post your
    question either in the Win7, Hardware forum, or just the Win7 forum
    itself.

    PS: would like to hear back if you find a resolution! :)

    Dave Doe, Jan 10, 2014
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    No. I *do* recall hearing about it before I had a W7 machine. Should I
    Google?
    Hmmm, food for thought. Thanks Malcolm.

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I've tested and a 4GB fast flash drive readyboost makes a large measurable
    difference to boot times, game startup times and game map load times. (I use
    a flash drive with an 'access' LED so can also visually check when it's
    being accessed.

    Machine is an oldie but goodie; It's a self-built 2007 Socket 775 machine. I
    knew at the time of building that it was likely (barring miracles or extreme
    good fortune) the last machine I'd be able to make for myself so I built it
    to last. An ASUS mobo with all Japanese solid polymer caps fitted with what
    is pretty much the ultimate Socket 775 CPU - A CoreQuad Extreme QX9650; 45nm
    fab. 3GHz stock, unlocked mulitplier - O/Cs to 3.8 with ease with 12M L2
    cache, 1333 FSB stock (I run it at 1600 FSB to be synchronous with the
    DDR2/800 RAM.)

    Mobo max RAM is 8GB - which I was running for a while. However, when I threw
    together a second back-up desktop I swapped it's 2x1GB sticks for 2x2GB
    sticks from my machine and, running with 6GB seems no different to the
    performance with 8GB. I'll buy a couple more 2GB DDR2/800 sticks when I can
    get the money together to take it back to 8GB - I've been trying to sell a
    few things on TM with this in mind but it seems the idiots who bid
    outrageously against me when I want something aren't finding my auctions.
    :-/

    Mechanical HDD as SSDs are still out of my (bread-and-cheese) budget.
    However the HDD is a 2013 model Seagate 1TB single-platter 7,200 rpm low
    profile drive (ST1000DM003) that a friend visiting from NYC bought for me as
    a gift.

    So story short: Quad core 3GHz CPU, 6GB RAM (dual channel mode), and fast
    mech HDD.
    Most of the relevant Google hits I got were indeed from that forum (but
    mainly related to people's HDDs showing in the list) and it seems that any
    changes made are re-set at next boot. :(
    Sure. I was hoping someone would know off the top of their head - not
    expecting someone else to Google for me (even though my Google-Fu seems to
    Yeah, those are the sorts of answers that I spent a couple of hours wading
    through last year - then again a couple of days ago. Most pertain to HDDs
    showing in the list and how to stop that. The thing is I *want* (non-boot)
    HDDs to show in the list as I have three hot-swap bays (in this machine,
    another in the backup desktop) that I use for hot-swapping.

    A big annoyance is that, the the Safely Remove list the *type* of media is
    in bold font at the top of the entry but the specifics are in a harder to
    read grey font below. Mistakes mainly happen when I'm stopping another flash
    drive and am not completely focused due to being sore or hurried. As I
    mentioned, once the Readyboost drive is stopped it's blanked and the
    algorithms that calculate what files to store on the drive take quite a long
    time to optimise the cache again. Frankly it's a PITA.
    Yeah. Honestly I'm sick to the back teeth of having to sign up to
    [whatever], come up with a password, (usually) dechiper an increasingly
    cryptic CAPTCHA, visit a conformation link... blah blah blah. I have 6 pages
    in a Word document that is solely usernames, passwords, email address used
    and URLs for all of the forums etc. I've needed to join in the last few
    years.

    Also the only thing I found that was remotely similar to what I was looking
    for involved much registry manipulation - multiple entries that needed to be
    changed and then writing a batch file created (unique to the machine so I
    couldn't just download one) that would run at startup that would undo
    Windows 'repairing' the changes at each re-boot!

    Honestly I don't think doing something like I'm wanting to do should be this
    fusking hard!
    Heh! So there's an interest in a solution then. That being the case you'd
    think that there *would* be an answer out there somewhere.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2014
  6. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    Create a folder on your desktop...and rename it to this;

    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

    Malcolm, Jan 12, 2014
  7. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    You may not be using anywhere near 6GB RAM. Have you checked the stats
    that the OS puts out? Sorry, I don't run any Windows so I wouldn't know
    how. I'd try to find out before parting the shekels for more RAM.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 12, 2014
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for that. I haven't tried it yet as, although my gaming machine runs
    64-bit 7 my day-to-day laptop is still running XP and that's what I'm most
    familiar with. So basically I'm a 7 n00b and would hate to mess it up.

    I've saved that string in a text file and I'll put it on a flash drive and
    Tx it to my desktop later. I'd hate to change something crucial and not be
    able to change it back...

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2014
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi Cliff. I often have two games running and switch from one to the other as
    they're both MMORPGs and I have a social circle with each so like to swap
    between them to see who's playing what.

    So W7 tells me that, during my usual 'mode', of the 6GB available 3.8 is in
    use with another 1.5 'reserved' which only leaves a little less than 1GB
    marked as free. While I don't run into any issues with RAM now both games I
    play are constantly getting updates and expansions and - more to the point -
    DDR2 RAM keeps going up in price.

    Consequently I'd like to max the machine out to 8GB when I next get a few $
    that's not immediately and urgently accounted for. As I said I built this
    machine to last me as long as possible[*] and hope like crazy that it does!

    [*] Including doing the little things like masking off currently un-used
    expansion slots (from new) - something that occured to me quite a while ago
    after having one too many problems with inserting new cards in slots that
    had been gathering dust for years. I'd often thought that there'd be a
    market for clip-on or even push-in slot 'covers' (or that they'd be included
    with enthusiast-level mobos) but that's a potential product who's time has
    pretty much come and gone now. (A well built PC has good through-case
    airflow and, while you can filter out some of the crap, if the filters are
    too fine - in a house inhabited by only an invalid who has trouble with
    lower back and vaccum cleaning - they get clogged and things get hot.)

    Oh, I think that I forgot to mention that stopping the (8GB exFAT formatted)
    Readyboost flash drive accidently is more of a problem in my case than you'd
    think. I have it in an internal port on a PCIe USB3 expansion card (with a
    case window so I can see out the corner of my eye the little LED blinking
    when it's accessed). So, if I inadvertantly 'stop' it I have to take the
    side off the case and unplug and re-plug it. :-/

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2014
  10. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    Naa, you'll be fine. 'GodMode' doesn't "do" anything, it just puts all
    those adminy functions in one place. Unless you use it a lot, you (well
    *I*) forget to use it and do things the long way anyway.

    Dave Doe, Jan 16, 2014