Removable storage

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Valverdez, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Valverdez

    Valverdez Guest

    Hi guys,

    I am considering picking up a removable hard drive for added storage. I was
    looking at a 250GB drive that uses a USB2.0 connection to the pc. The
    question is this; last time I upgraded my pc I installed a second hard
    drive. I purchased a 160GB drive and slapped it on my IDE's second channel
    as master. My system didn't see the whole drive, only 120 GB of it, why,
    seems I needed a BIOS upgrade. Anyway, I decided to live with it because I
    could not fine a free BIOS upgrade on the web and the company that supports
    my board and BIOS wanted to charge 70.00 US for the upgrade.

    Now the question, if I plug in the 250 GB drive under Windows as a plug and
    play on the USB port, will not Windows recognize the drive and utilize the
    entire drive? I mean, it doesn't have to go through the boot process or
    BIOS, Windows should just see it and use it right ?

    Thanks all,

    Drew

    Valverdez, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Valverdez

    Render Me Guest

    which board?

    Render Me, Jul 14, 2005

  3. hi drew
    widows XP & 2000 only tend to see about 100gb,
    the thing to do if you can is to install the drive into your comp, and start
    the comp up on a winME start up disk,
    once started run fdisk and creat a partition on the drive,
    then format the drive.
    as you are doing this the information will tell you that the drive is
    smaller than you want it, but do not worry,
    After the format restart your comp as normal and yor drive should now
    showup,
    once again format the disk from within windows and all should now be fine
    ,,

    tethank you norwich union for the way you dealt wi, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Valverdez

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "tethank you norwich union for the way you dealt with my
    " <temthank you norwich union for the way you dealt with
    my > wrote in message
    Huh? What are *you* smoking?
    Waste of time.
    XP's disk managment tools work just fine.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Valverdez

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Correct - the USB drive is not handled by BIOS, so your BIOS limitations
    should not apply.

    Keep in mind that 250,000,000,000 drives (did I get enough zeros in that?
    <grin>) will not show 250 gigabytes when formatted. A kilobyte is 1024
    bytes, not 1000 bytes. So in the order of magnitude of which we speak (a
    *lot* of kilobytes) that 24 byte difference is pretty substantial.

    If you ask, I'm sure someone would be more than tickled to show you the
    math.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Valverdez

    old jon Guest

    Further to what has already been suggested by TT and others. If you leave
    the drive as one partition, bear in mind how long it would take to, say,
    Defrag it. It might be better to partition
    the drive, to suit your requirements.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 14, 2005