    I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    drive have a provision for using either the IDE ribbon cable or the USB.
    which should I use? Thanks

    Eagle Creek, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Eagle Creek

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >|I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    >| drive have a provision for using either the IDE ribbon cable or the
    >| USB. which should I use? Thanks

    IIRC, the IDE should be faster, and probably more reliable.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Eagle Creek

    Moon Guest

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:08:30 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <>,wrote:

    >>|I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    >>| drive have a provision for using either the IDE ribbon cable or the
    >>| USB. which should I use? Thanks

    >IIRC, the IDE should be faster, and probably more reliable.

    USB2 is probably just as reliable. I use external drives all
    the time and never a problem. And at 480 Mbps you're not
    going to miss much or notice a substantial degradation in
    performance.

    Moon, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Eagle Creek

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Eagle Creek says...
    > I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    > drive have a provision for using either the IDE ribbon cable or the USB.
    > which should I use? Thanks

    Depends on what you want to achieve.

    Unless the rack supports "Hot Swapping" with IDE, i.e you can remove
    the drive without switching off/rebooting the PC, but you want to
    remove the drive without rebooting then use USB. If you want
    performance then use IDE.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.