    I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    drive have a provision for using either the IDE ribbon cable or the USB.
    which should I use? Thanks

    Eagle Creek, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Eagle Creek

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I am about to install a second hard drive as a backup. The rack and
    IIRC, the IDE should be faster, and probably more reliable.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Eagle Creek

    Moon Guest

    USB2 is probably just as reliable. I use external drives all
    the time and never a problem. And at 480 Mbps you're not
    going to miss much or notice a substantial degradation in
    performance.

    Moon, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Eagle Creek

    Conor Guest

    Depends on what you want to achieve.

    Unless the rack supports "Hot Swapping" with IDE, i.e you can remove
    the drive without switching off/rebooting the PC, but you want to
    remove the drive without rebooting then use USB. If you want
    performance then use IDE.

    Conor, Oct 8, 2004