    is, but a junction in nearby Portsmouth made the news for breaking some
    record for the most lights on one junction - as anyone who's been to
    Novatech has probably found out. There, I'm getting back on topic ;-).

    Tony Houghton, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Aosmosis

    Trevor Best Guest

    Maybe we should employ the 4 way stop sign they have in the US, low
    failure rate and no light bulb. Although they don't cater for
    pedestrians very well over there.
    Every driver should realise that at each end of their journey, they are
    a PBP (execpt in the US where they managed to park closer to their final
    destination).

    Trevor Best, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Aosmosis

    BJH Guest

    I follow the thread but it occured to me that it's probably not
    possible to flick a switch and turn off a multimegawatt steam turbine
    for a couple of hours.

    So where would the extra energy go if all the lights were turned off
    overnight?

    BJH, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    It also has the most free-flowing traffic of any major city in the UK.
    Partly because the traffic lights are part of a very sophisticated
    traffic flow control system of which the traffic lights you cite are part.
    http://www.trg.soton.ac.uk/prime/southampton/descr5.htm

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Aosmosis

    Dougal Guest

    Doing the pumping for the pump/storage hydro-electric schemes.

    Dougal, Jan 1, 2006
  6. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    They either take the more expensive generating plant off-line when the
    power is not needed or use the excess to drive pumped storage schemes
    for use when they need to handle peak and sudden loads. There are four
    pumped storage sites in the UK, two in Wales and two in Scotland.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped_storage

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Jan 1, 2006

  7. NO !

    bloody nightmare those things, stopping in the middle of nowhere at
    empty junctions. No thanks.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jan 1, 2006
  8. it is actually, there's an emergency stop button. The boiler is a
    bigger deal than the turbine but they modulate too.

    It isn't a good idea, as you imply. The marginal generation is often
    gas turbines that pick up and shed load like an engine (which is what
    they are, jet engines for planes or GTs for power) so the energy input
    to the power stations does follow the load.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jan 1, 2006
  9. Have a read
    http://www.micromart.co.uk/default....f8-b1f5-4ffc-a6c8-f567007946de&featureid=2787

    http://www.eugenesoft.com/
    "a very useful tool for network administrators as well as a valuable
    energy saving tool. Are there always people leaving PCs on in the
    office? Use this tool and you'll have no problems.
    "

    http://www.emco.is/
    "This is another network shutdown tool that's totally free, and although
    it doesn't support hibernate or standby, it's a useful tool nonetheless"

    Ian Ozenthroat, Jan 1, 2006
  10. In <>,
    Stll, the system seems to at least create the impression that traffic is
    being held up needlessly at most junctions. The website is rather vague
    about exactly how the traffic is managed, but it seems there's more of
    an emphasis on dealing with unusual incidents than everyday traffic. For
    all we know traffic is indeed being held up, just to keep it away from
    as few as two roads so they can be used to generate your statistic about
    the most free-flowing traffic in the country.

    Tony Houghton, Jan 1, 2006
  11. Aosmosis

    Boss Hog Guest

    Any chance FU's could be set under the new subject? I'd like to kill
    this part of the thread.

    Boss Hog, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    Maybe but I no of no other similar sized city centre I can cross in
    10-15 mins (M3 to dockside) in the middle of a weekday.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Jan 2, 2006
  13. In <>,
    That would generally take you down one of the special prioritised routes
    I think. You'd probably find East to West or vice versa to be more
    grinding. Besides, what about Portsmouth where the motorway goes
    practically all the way to the docks? Again hearsay, but I'm told
    that's a major factor in why Portsmouth has cross-channel passenger
    ferry terminals while Southampton doesn't any more.

    Tony Houghton, Jan 2, 2006
  14. Aosmosis

    Geoffrey Guest

    I've been into the traffic control room in Southampton many times and
    I can assure you they don't only concentrate on unusual incidents. It
    is a very impressive setup.

    Geoffrey, Jan 2, 2006