    unattended operation - I doubt it.

    As for the loss of unsaved work: it's time they learnt - the hard way if
    necessary!

    Dougal, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    Maybe they are running [email protected] which would be a valid reason for
    leaving it on overnight ;-)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 31, 2005

  3. In <>,
    No; PCs oficially don't waste energy, because Bill Gates is Tony Blair's
    fwend and the very best processors are named after John.

    John Prescott's idea of catching the bus is having both of his Jags
    drive in the bus lanes at once because he's above the law. He caught a
    train once, but he sent at least one of the Jags on ahead to pick him up
    at the far end.

    Tony Houghton, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Aosmosis

    Dougal Guest

    It's a valid reason (for the moment, or is it already too late?) but
    realistically .....

    Dougal, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Aosmosis

    m0rk Guest

    Now if I were one of your parents, who presumably pay the electricity
    None of the questions re: authority have been answered. If you are the
    systems administrator this authority is implied, however im also of the
    polite minority of admins and prefer to involve all in the final plan
    which providing it is logical usually wins through, but not always.

    If I had kids, they'd only have access via a locked down domain member
    through some form of terminal services/web proxy - the machines cases
    would be locked shut and beating the system would involve much thought,
    knowledge and luck! .. at which point id be pleased they had the skill
    and determination before locking them out again!

    m0rk, Dec 31, 2005
  6. At today's energy costs I'm not sure it's a valid reason anymore ..

    GSV Three Minds in a Can, Dec 31, 2005
  7. Aosmosis

    Graham W Guest

    If it is located on the remote and activated by a remote desktop
    or scheduler then it should do - BICBW! I haven't tried it on a
    networked computer meself.

    Graham W, Dec 31, 2005
  8. In this case I would suggest that the OP would like to be sysadmin but
    is not. As a parent, it looks like the youngest trying to enforce his
    or her none existent authority, having just seen the light (green issues
    in this case) and none existent persuasion skills having failed.
    Most parents do not have these skills and are probably unaware of what
    their children are up to. I suspect that the OP might be quite upset if
    his or her parents found out what the OP's activities were and blocked
    them. Mine gets upset when I close down the security holes which his
    games demo's open. Parents f**k you up or protect you from the dangers
    of this world. Mine rang up a telephone bill of £100 phoning sex lines
    (he was only 11 at the time). Fortunately I spotted it and stopped it
    after one night only.

    Nicholas D Richards, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    If you are that worried, switch off a street light. It would save much
    more energy than switching off a computer overnight and most of them are
    left on all night regardless of anyone being around to benefit from them.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 31, 2005
  10. Aosmosis

    John Jordan Guest

    A typical modern urban streetlight uses less than 80W and by my
    estimation serves around five houses.

    John Jordan, Dec 31, 2005
  11. streetlights also heat up the ambient rather than your house, so a PC
    overnight running costs has to be compared against the equivalent
    heating cost.

    the environmental picture isn't black & white either - off-peak nukes,
    CHP, renewables or early morning domestic heating boiler ?

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 31, 2005
  12. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    The Worcestershire average is 355kWhr per annum per streetlight
    (equating to about 40W continuous throughout the year). Which is more
    than most computers would consume left on from say 11pm to 8am. And I
    bet less than 1 in 5 houses leave their computer on overnight.
    http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/home/wccindex/wcc-street.htm

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 31, 2005
  13. In <>,
    Abolishing traffic lights would be better. Even if the power consumption
    of the lights themselves isn't all that significant, the reduction in
    traffic congestion would cause major reductions in fuel consumption and
    urban pollution.

    Tony Houghton, Dec 31, 2005
  14. We already don't have any, or want any, in this village. Switching off
    someone else's I have no control over. Switching off Seti or prime 95 on
    my computers I can do (and did). Actually these days there is a
    detectable energy/cost difference between an idle machine and one
    running prime95 9etc).

    GSV Three Minds in a Can, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Aosmosis

    John Jordan Guest

    That's a similar figure. It's slightly higher because it includes the
    much more powerful town-centre and major road lights. From the same
    document: "but the majority of street lights consume only 58 watts each".
    I don't see your point. To save the power of a single streetlight, you'd
    morally require permission from all your neighbours. Feel free to try.
    Alternatively you could simply turn your PC off overnight. You can't
    justify unnecessary personal waste simply because there's waste
    elsewhere in the system.

    John Jordan, Dec 31, 2005
  16. I would expect a much greater use fossil fuels. Given the propensity of
    drivers to ignore the yellow cross hatching at road junctions, I would
    expect much more in the way of gridlocks.

    That ignores the increase in pedestrian traffic accidents.

    Nicholas D Richards, Jan 1, 2006
  17. In <T0d$>,
    Traffic lights don't stop people obstructing yellow junctions, they
    cause the traffic jams that stop them driving through freely. It's
    amazing how many people have never seen what happens when lights
    fail at a major junction and drivers have to fend for themselves: the
    traffic moves more steadily in each direction every time.

    Or perhaps you live in a place which has lights sensibly governed by
    traffic sensors which we don't have in the rest of the country. I
    presume the normal sort don't have any sort of sensors and just work on
    fixed intervals chosen arbitrarily. Nobody could have a good reason for
    deliberately causing the usual effects of traffic lights on moderately
    heavy traffic - ie nearly every light is red when you get to it, and you
    often have to wait for up to a minute while nothing passes through the
    green light in the other direction. Then that turns red just in time for
    the stream of traffic that's been released from waiting for nothing at
    the previous set of lights.
    Pelican crossings aren't so bad; at least they only hold traffic up when
    someone wants to cross the road (yob factor aside).

    Tony Houghton, Jan 1, 2006
  18. in my experience they stop the traffic just after some pedestrian has
    crossed the road in a gap in the traffic in the same way they did
    before some asshole installed a pelican crossing at my expense !

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jan 1, 2006
  19. It is called gridlock, I have also seen more than the odd traffic
    accident caused by traffic light failure and it is impossible for the
    pedestrian to cross the road.
    Except for the PBP (Poor Bloody Pedestrian).

    Nicholas D Richards, Jan 1, 2006
  20. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    Has someone secretly cross posted to uk.rec.transport?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham