    do u want to save it" etc etc

    I can access their shared folder through network neighbourhood.

    cheers

    Aosmosis, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Aosmosis

    john Guest

    Just tell them to switch it off or alter the settings for them so it goes
    into STANDBY.
    Pointless leaving it on when not in use, waste of electricity.

    john, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Aosmosis

    Homer Guest

    It's none of your business if they leave them on or not, don't do anything.

    Homer, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Aosmosis

    BigH2K Guest

    Set them up so you can use "Remote Desktop".

    BigH2K, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Aosmosis

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Being in a shared folder on their computer doesn't really help: if you run
    the executable, it runs on your computer, not theirs. Anyway, have a look at
    PsShutdown: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html

    HTH,
    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Aosmosis

    Conor Guest

    It's the worlds business if they leave them on or not.

    --
    Conor

    I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
    After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know
    what terror was.

    Conor, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Aosmosis

    Trevor Best Guest

    IF the OP has XP there's a shutdown command built in.

    Trevor Best, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Aosmosis

    John Guest

    It is both the world's business (greenhouse gasses, if you believe the
    arguments) and none of the brother's business what his sibling does.
    This is especially true if the brother(s) leaving their PCs on 24/7 have
    work being done. The concerned brother should suggest, but beyond that
    .... nothing.

    John, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Aosmosis

    Tony Raven Guest

    I suspect someone wanting to play some tricks with someone else's
    computer rather than a genuine desire to switch them off for energy
    conservation. After all how hard is it to walk round and switch them
    off manually if they are on the same network?

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    Tony Raven, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Aosmosis

    Alan Walker Guest

    In
    That is the worst idea ever, if I found out a brother of mine had set up
    remote desktop on my pc so he could switch it off when he felt fit I'd throw
    him down the stairs.

    Probably the best way would be to negotiate one of:

    - Power settings to standby after a time idle.

    - AT command to shutdown daily at a given time.

    If you're not familiar with both of these you shouldn't even be thinking
    about interfering with somebody else's machine.

    If you're really worried about the environmental impact then try catching a
    bus at least once a week instead of driving, it will more than make up for
    your brother's pc energy consumption.

    Alan Walker, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Aosmosis

    Aosmosis Guest

    Too right Conor, its so wasteful. I get annoyed when they leave their lights
    on or the TV on, or turn on the heating full wack when it isnt cold.

    Aosmosis, Dec 30, 2005
  12. <snip>

    There are plenty of choices for a technical solution, but I fear
    you are ignoring the *real* problems i.e.:

    o Do you have authority over how your brothers' computers are
    configured?

    o Will your brothers comply voluntarily?

    The wording you used suggests you have neither authority nor
    voluntary compliance. In fact, it indicates you may encounter
    bloody-minded resistance every step of the way. Suggest you think
    this aspect through first.

    Frazer Jolly Goodfellow, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Aosmosis

    Graham W Guest

    This works in '98SE and I use it on the Start menu:

    C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE user.exe,ExitWindows

    HTH

    Graham W, Dec 31, 2005
  14. You sound like a child who has just had a religious conversion. In this
    case the conversion is to 'save the planet'. It is the attitude that
    can eventually lead to burning at the stake for nonbelievers.

    You do not have the authority, but would like to enforce your will
    anyway. Do you always ask your parents' permission before you use the
    telephone?

    Technically speaking, what you ask for is probably illegal. Whether a
    case like this would ever get to court, I doubt. You would, however,
    cause even more bad feeling. Interfering with someone else's computer,
    without authority, is illegal.

    Now if I were one of your parents, who presumably pay the electricity
    bill, I would want my authority to be respected, and would expect my
    children not to exceed their authority. In particular, I would expect
    my children to switch off their own computers overnight and not to
    interfere with each other's responsibilities, cause more bad feeling and
    maybe, fights.

    Nicholas D Richards, Dec 31, 2005
  15. Aosmosis

    Trevor Best Guest

    Does that shut a remote PC down though?

    You could use that if a scheduler is enabled on the other PCs.

    Trevor Best, Dec 31, 2005
  16. Aosmosis

    Tony Sutton Guest

    That would be a very bad idea if he is working on the computer in late night
    and it shuts down without saving any of his work!

    For the OP, I would add my comment to leave his PC alone. Just tell him that
    he's wasting the electricity bill and mention that he should pay for the
    bill a bit more. :)

    Tony Sutton, Dec 31, 2005
  17. Aosmosis

    Trevor Best Guest

    You are John Prescott and I claim my £5.

    Trevor Best, Dec 31, 2005
  18. Aosmosis

    Trevor Best Guest

    Doncha kinda get the impression that anything done on *that* PC that
    late at night would be a bit clandestine?

    Trevor Best, Dec 31, 2005
  19. Aosmosis

    Dave J. Guest

    If he was Prescott then his estimate would be more like take the bus once
    a week and save the entire town's pc energy consumption.

    Dave J

    Dave J., Dec 31, 2005
  20. Not necessarily - when did you do your school homework when you were
    living at home with the family? Mine was often late night.

    I'm of the "Tell the brothers, but don't dick with their machines"
    persuasion, by the way.

    Cheers - Jaimie

    Jaimie Vandenbergh, Dec 31, 2005