Remote server timeouts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rustiferion, Jun 19, 2005.

  1. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    Perhaps someone here can help me with an irritating problem that has
    recently developed. I have a website-related email acount that attracts
    more than its share of spam, including many that contain viruses and
    Trojans. Normally, NAV catches and quarantines all the bad bugs as it
    downloads the messages, and when the last one is downloaded, either the
    client (OE6) or the email server program erases all the messages from the
    remote server, and I start again with a clean slate.

    Starting about May 1st, what happens is, the messages download until NAV
    stops to quarantine something. I click "Quarantine", then "Finish" as
    always, then I get a server timeout message. OE then dutifully goes on to
    the next email account (different server) and downloads from there. Trouble
    is, since OE didn't get to the end of the file on the first server, it
    doesn't erase anything there, so the next time I access the account, exactly
    the same thing happens with the same message. In a day or two, dozens of
    unread messages pile up behind the tainted one, because I can't download and
    delete it.

    After weeks of frustration, I finally found I can download the file from
    another machine on my LAN without a problem, which allows the server to
    clean out the cache. I can then go back to my machine and operate
    normally - until another infected email comes along, then I have to do it
    again. The only difference between the two machines that I can tell is that
    mine has a recently updated firewall (ZoneAlarm 5.5.062) and the other
    machine does not (ZA 3.0.118). My machine worked fine until the beginning
    of May. All I can think of is that an "Automatic Update" changed some
    setting without my knowing, but I can't find anything in the Control Panel
    that would be the obvious cause.

    Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it? I'd really
    rather not lower the firewall unnecessarily, but that's what the ISP
    suggested...

    TIA
    ~RL

    Win XP Home
    OE6
    2 machines behind a router and a cable modem
    ZoneAlarm 5.5 & 3.0
    Norton Systemworks 2003 V6
    NAV 6/15/05

    Rustiferion, Jun 19, 2005

  2. Rustiferion

    Duane Arnold Guest

    All you have to do is go to OE/Tools/the Account/Properties/Advanced Tab and
    slide the Server Timeout control to its MAX setting giving OE the time it
    needs to download the email from the email server.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 19, 2005

  3. Rustiferion

    Plato Guest

    Use a script to hide your email address from the spiders/harverters:
    http://www.javascript-page.com/emailprotect.html

    Plato, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. (I had to wait until I rec'd
    another virus-mail before I could test it) Still hangs the server until it
    times out. Seems like it's not sending the ping to tell the server to move
    on to the next message, so everything just waits.

    ~RL

    Rustiferion, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Rustiferion

    Not Me Guest

    "Rustiferion"

    | > All you have to do is go to OE/Tools/the Account/Properties/Advanced Tab
    | > and
    | > slide the Server Timeout control to its MAX setting giving OE the time
    it
    | > needs to download the email from the email server.
    | >
    | > Duane :)

    Any similar adjustment for OE mail accouts and IE6?

    Not Me, Jun 23, 2005