remote control of camera settings

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jonathan, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. jonathan

    jonathan Guest

    hey all,

    I'm looking for a more robust way to control my camera remotely (a
    canon 10D). I know about the TC-80N3 and the LC-4, and the RS-80N3,
    which all provide remote features for control. However, they seem too
    limited in what they can do: both the TC and RS are limited by the 2.6
    feet cable, and all three don't seem to be able to change the actual
    camera settings like aperture and ISO value before taking a shot.

    Ideally, for me, would be a solution that has a bit longer range than
    the TC-80N3, and allows you to control these settings in the same way
    that the TC-80N3 controls shutter speed - by your thumb.. Seeing what
    10Dremote can do - software wise - I was wondering if anyone had made
    a digital device (sort of like an ipod) which connected via the
    firewire port in the camera and could do same basic thing.

    I'm *hoping* that something like this exists - because if done
    correctly it would be a generic device and hence connectable to any
    camera with a iee394 port on it. But I'm not hopeful.

    Anyone heard of such a thing?

    jon

    (ps - if nothing like this exists, can you mod the TC-80N3 so that it
    has a longer cable? I've heard about people making their own remotes
    and such, but I'm not too thrilled about the prospect of buying a $150
    piece of equipment and splicing the wires unless I'm sure that the
    wire I'm splicing into is a standard off-the-shelf component.)

    jonathan, Oct 27, 2003