Remote Assistance fails to connect, remote remote host name could not be resolved

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peter Sale, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Peter Sale

    Peter Sale Guest

    I have two Windows XP Pro SP2 computers wirelessly connecting to the internet (Adelphia Powerlink) via a Belkin Pre-N wireless router (F5D8230-4, version 1000), and two wireless network cards. On my notebook I have a Belkin Pre-N wireless network card (F5D8010, version 1000) and on my PC I have some sort wireless PCI network card by Netgear. With only two exceptions, in all other ways that I can see, I enjoy a problem free, very fast (3000up/256 down) connection to the internet.

    The two problems, possibly related, are
    1. All my attempts to "request" Remote Assistance fail, displaying the following error message:
    "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
    host name could not be resolved. Please try again."

    2. The appearance in the "System" log of the "Event Viewer" in "System Tools" of "Computer Management (Local)" {Right click My Computer and select "Manage"} displays following error message:
    Error 12/11/2004 9:57:55 AM Dhcp None 1002 N/A POWERNOTEBOOK

    When I double click on this error, the following explanation is displayed:
    The IP address lease 192.168.23.32 for the Network Card with network address 001150203F1D has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    I feel my problem initiating a "Remote Assistance" session and this DHCP error message may be related. Perhaps if I can fix the DHCP error, then I will finally be able to get a Remote Assistance session running.

    My wireless network is only used to share internet access between multiple computers, no file or printer sharing.
    --
    Regards,

    Peter Sale
    Santa Monica, CA USA
    To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

    Peter Sale, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Peter Sale

    Robin Walker Guest

    Peter Sale <-leg.net> wrote:

    > 1. All my attempts to "request" Remote Assistance fail, displaying
    > the following error message:
    > "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the
    > remote host name could not be resolved. Please try again."

    To request Remote Assisitance from behind a NAT router:

    - the router must support UPnP, and UPnP support must be enabled;
    - in Windows Firewall, the "UPnP Framework" exception must be enabled.

    In the Belkin, enable UPnP on the Utilities page.

    --
    Robin Walker

    Robin Walker, Dec 11, 2004