    On my Dad's computer, it seems to be indicating that the firewall is
    blocking remote access. Any ideas on how to turn that off? He is
    using OS X version 10.6.8 snow leopard.

    Guest, Jan 12, 2014

  2. Guest

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    Get Your Dad to install teamviewer for Mac, you install the windows
    version and should be good to go;
    http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx

    It does the connection via a remote server, but should work.... I guess
    you would need to watch bandwidth usage?

    If you want to use vnc, you would need to forward the vnc ports on the
    external ip (in router) to the internal ip (mac) on the router.

    You also wouldn't expose the vnc port on the internet side, eg 5900.
    You would configure it for say 11590, then in the router forward to the
    ip address and port 5900 of the Mac. Then ensure the firewall port is
    open on the Mac.

    Malcolm, Jan 12, 2014

  3. Guest

    Gordon Guest

    Welcome to networking. Get on the learning curve.

    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, no vnc pre fix. (The internet works in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    This has had very good reviews and worked a treat when I took it for a test
    drive.

    The paranoid might be concerned about traffic going through the thrid party.

    Gordon, Jan 13, 2014
  4. Guest

    Your Name Guest

    Or even a third party. ;-)

    One of the people I sometimes deal with has had no problems using
    TeamViewer when getting help from her son in England.

    Your Name, Jan 13, 2014
  5. Guest

    Crash Guest

    Actually there is an alternative Logmein (www.logmein.com). I have no
    significant networking experience. I installed only on Windows
    though.

    This is very different to others in that on the host (yours) you need
    a browser and on the client (your dads) you need Logmein client
    software. I used the free variant to access my wife's desktop from my
    laptop while we were away for 5 weeks in various parts of Europe
    including Croatia. No problems - worked flawlessly.

    Crash, Jan 13, 2014
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks. Port forwarding will be too complicated so I'll try
    TeamViewer or LogMeIn.

    Guest, Jan 13, 2014
  7. Guest

    Your Name Guest

    There are a few other similar systems as well. Some of them will also
    let you to remote-use a Mac from an iPhone or iPad.

    Your Name, Jan 13, 2014