Reminder - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nntp, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. nntp

    nntp Guest

    What is Happening?
    This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing
    newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums.

    Why?
    As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the
    traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the
    past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding
    solutions in the forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
    move will unify the customer experience, centralize content, make it easier
    for active contributors to retain their influence, mitigate redundancies and
    make the content easier to find by customers and search engines through
    improved indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
    management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by encouraging a
    healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this end, Microsoft will
    begin to progressively shift available resources to the forums technology
    and discontinue support for newsgroups.

    In addition to offering a compelling online browser experience, for those
    users who prefer to use an NNTP (newsgroup) reader to participate in the
    newsgroups community, we have developed a solution called the NNTP Bridge
    which allows a user to connect a variety of supported NNTP readers to the
    forums they would like to participate in and continue having the NTTP reader
    functionality. You can find instructions on how to download and set up the
    NNTP Bridge here: http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    All public newsgroups will eventually be closed between June 1, 2010 and
    October 1, 2010. Microsoft will be closing newsgroups in a phased approach,
    starting with the least active newsgroups and moving eventually to more
    active ones throughout the course of the next six months.

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    Effective July 1, 2010, this newsgroup will be closed.

    In an effort to enhance and improve your experience, this newsgroup is scheduled for closure in the upcoming months and we would like to invite you to participate at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/group/WindowsAnswers forum(s). An exact date will be posted in advance as plans are finalized.

    Should you want to visit the other Microsoft Forums, please go to
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/forums/default.mspx

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    Send any questions about the process, recommended forums and timing to

    nntp, Jun 21, 2010

  2. nntp

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, 64-bit Gang.
    OK. The other shoe has dropped: We'll lose this newsgroup on July 1. That
    much is clear.
    This part is NOT so clear. That URL is the "generic" one that sends us to
    the haystack, where we can search for a needle that looks good to us. :>(

    That URL gets us to the top of the Microsoft Answers forums. There we can
    choose from 5 forums each for Win7, Vista and WinXP. NO MENTION of 64-bit -
    which transcends all three Windows versions, of course. And the choices are
    HIGHLY generic. All 3 menus include Desktop and Personalization; Hardware
    and Drivers; Performance and Maintenance; and Install, Upgrade and Activate.
    Win7 and WinXP also include Programs; Vista offers Gaming.

    Which of those options may be something that we can converge on?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, Jun 21, 2010

  3. July 1, it´s only 10 days left. :(
    Where to go after that?

    Maratonmannen

    Maratonmannen, Jun 21, 2010
  4. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    High time for asking Dalai Lama about re-incarnation.
    Maybe he can tell us where we will be born again!.
    :)
    Seriously speaking, I am deeply worried that this specific comunity, built
    with such a hard effort of everybody is at the verge of extinction.
    Like, E.L.I. in "Deep Impact".
    For the moment, my main concern is Argentina vs Greece tomorrow.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2010
  5. nntp

    Steve Foster Guest

    I'm posting to the group using Eternal September. I don't expect it to
    go anywhere on July 1, just because Microsoft drop it from
    msnews.microsoft.com.

    Go visit www.eternal-september.org to get yourselves a free account
    (but not all at once!), and then this newsgroup can live on forever...

    Steve Foster, Jun 22, 2010
  6. nntp

    BullDawg Guest

    Same here, using Eternal September as the newsserver. Two groups that were
    dropped a few weeks ago are still accessible with Eternal September.

    --
    ______________
    BullDawg

    Why is it that our children
    can't read a Bible in school,
    but they can in prison?

    BullDawg, Jun 22, 2010
  7. nntp

    Bo Persson Guest

    And if that becomes too busy, some of the wealthier ones might
    consider using a not-totally-free service. :)

    In Europe, I can recommend this one for a modest ?10 per year, backed
    by the speed of a university network:

    http://news.individual.net/

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jun 22, 2010
  8. If we don't have a Forums home, we'll stay here for the moment. And
    Argentina will prevail.

    (Hey, I'm an optimist by nature!)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 22, 2010
  9. nntp

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Steve.

    Thanks for the reminder of non-MS Usenet servers. Fortunately, my ISP
    (Grande Communications, here in San Marcos, TX) still carries over 100,000
    NGs - via Giganews, I think. So, while I haven't yet subscribed to THIS
    NG - and a few others that I'm still reading via MSNews - I'll be adding
    those to my Quicken and Win7.general NGs on that server soon.

    I tried eternal-september.org several months ago but probably won't go back
    to it unless - or until - Grande follows the trend and discontinues Usenet,
    too. :>(

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 22, 2010
  10. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Your optimism is well founded.
    We beat Greece 2-0 today.
    3 matches won out of 3. Four more to go.
    Now I'll have to wait till Sunday, playoff against Mexico.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2010
  11. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jun 22, 2010
  12. nntp

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Carlos.

    I'm not expert enough to say for sure if Discussions will continue. But my
    understanding is that the "Discussions" interface has always been just
    another way to view these Usenet newsgroups without using a newsreader - by
    reading them in a Web browser. Over the years, I've tried many times to use
    that Discussions interface myself - and just never could get comfy with it.
    I never could stand to try it for more than a half-hour at a time.

    Quick, Carlos, before it's too late to see what I mean, click on this link:

    That one click should fire up your default newsreader (OE? WM? WLM?
    Thunderbird, Agent or other 3rd-party newsreader?); create a News Account
    for you on this soon-to-disappear Microsoft public news server, which is
    free and does not require you to log on; subscribe you to THIS newsgroup;
    download the 300 latest messages here; and display the newest post in the
    Reading Pane for you to read. As you will see, these are the identical
    messages that you see in Discussions, but presented in a different format.

    This is the way I've read all the Usenet newsgroups for about 15 years now,
    since OE first appeared in Win95, and I'm still reading them in the same way
    in WLMail - for a few more weeks. I will soon switch to Forums - but
    reluctantly.

    I'm sorry for not pointing this out much earlier, Carlos, but I simply
    didn't notice until now that your address is @discussions.microsoft.com.
    :^{

    RC

    R. C. White, Jun 23, 2010
  13. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    R.C.,
    Thanks for the tip.
    In any way this group is intended to disappear.
    There's no 64-bit anything offered by Microsoft in the forums.
    Still trying to find a new home.
    :(
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2010
  14. Yes, nice job against Greece. Didn't get to see it, unfortunately, was busy
    all day. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2010
  15. Yup, still waiting. And hoping for an answer _before_ we lose this NG.

    As for your web interface, Carlos, I'm afraid there's little chance it will
    still exist. But you should find the Forums quite acceptable, once we have a
    new home.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2010
  16. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    If we lose this NG I'll have to make up my mind among the Windows 7 forums at:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
    It'll be a hard decision because I don't think that I can dedicate my spare
    time to more than one.
    If I were forced to choose one right now it would be: "Hardware and Drivers".
    Other choices are: "Music and sound", "Install, Upgrade Activate" and
    "Programs".
    Guess I will also lose my "bronze" condition awarded in this NG.
    :(
    BTW, I've seen that Andre da Costa is already hanging around in the forums.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2010
  17. There are also Technet forums for Windows 7
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro.

    There are FAQ posted as stickies on the Technet forums, but not on the
    Answers forums.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 23, 2010
  18. I'm continuing to be an optimist. About a home, and about Argentina's
    chances in the Cup.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 23, 2010
  19. nntp

    Carlos Guest

    It's getting interesting.
    Two Spanish speaking countries (Argentina vs Mexico) will have to fight each
    other to decide which one will play against the winner of the upcoming
    Germany vs England.
    If it is against England we might even get our "Islas Malvinas" (aka
    Falkland Islands) back!
    :)
    (No hard feelings with all the cool British people in this NG, that is far
    beyond our nationalities).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2010
  20. Yes, could get interesting. (And, for what it's worth, I've always referred
    to them as the Malvinas...)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 24, 2010