    that but I didn't pay attention.

    Is there any way - without reinstalling Firefox - to recover my old
    passwords from the old Mozilla directory that's still on my hard drive?

    Z, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Z

    avalanche Guest

    There are people who can do this, but I'm not one:)

    avalanche, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Mozilla stores passwords in a file called 12345678.s, note the numbers
    are actually a random string. Firefox stores them in a file called
    signons.text.

    First, store a couple of passwords in FF, to ensure that signons.txt is
    created. Close FF, go to your profile folder and rename signons.txt to
    oldsignons.txt. Copy 12345678.s from your Mozilla profile folder, and
    paste it into your FF profile folder. Rename it to signons.txt.

    In your Mozilla profile, there is a file called key3.db. This is the
    security key database. Some of your passwords may not function without
    the proper certificates, so you should also copy this file from the
    Mozilla profile to the FF profile.

    Restart FF, and all your Mozilla passwords should be there.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Z

    Z Guest

    Odd.

    I found the [digits].s file but I have no signons.text (or signons.txt)
    anywhere on my system.

    And I do have saved passwords in FireFox (which I can view with Tools >
    Options > Privacy.

    Is signons.text the correct name?

    Z, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Should be signons.txt, I think .text was the result of my spellchecker
    "correcting" me.

    Well, there is one in my FF profile, and it shows the same stored
    passwords as Tools>>Options>>Privacy does.

    When I rename the file to oldsignons.txt, the View saved passwords box
    has no passwrods in it, because it can't find the file. Name it back
    abnd they reappear.

    Do you perhaps have more then one FF profile, and could you be looking
    in the wrong one? How long have you been using FF with this particular
    profile?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 13, 2004
  6. Z

    Z Guest

    I installed FF a few days ago, upgrading from Mozilla. I have only one
    profile.

    I see a .s file in the Firefox directory tree ... and it's the same name
    as the .s file in the Mozilla tree ... and it contains entries for the 4
    passwords that I can see in Firefox (Tools > Options > Privacy > View
    Saved Passwords) ... BUT!!! The format in the .s file in the Firefox
    tree is not the same as the one in the Mozilla tree.

    The Mozilla one looks like:
    ..
    http://www.nytimes.com
    USERID
    ~bWlrZXphcmxlbmdh
    *PASSWORD
    ~Zm9yZ2V0
    ..

    The Firefox version looks like:
    ..
    http://www.nytimes.com
    USERID
    MDoEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECLkvR432zH84BBBP14NjBTXW/vMC+04QuIzo
    *PASSWORD
    MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECEqPTUOJowkLBAhPvD4iQFFUMw==
    ..

    So, I'm hesitant to simply copy the old one over from Mozilla.

    Z, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Okay, I guess the difference is that my profile was created from scratch
    in Firefox, and yours had settings transferred from the Mozilla profile,
    which retained the 12345678.s format.

    This is all a guess, I have no way of testing this. Still, just rename
    the FF 12345678.s, to old1234567.s, then paste in the Mozilla copy. The
    absolute worst thing that can happen is that i doesn't work, in which
    case you delete the Moz file you pasted in and rename the original.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 14, 2004