    and will last at least 5 years with care. Was thinking of the sd630,
    but it has a an e-18 error sometimes. Any general suggestions are
    cameras in particular? Thanks.

    albert.mills, Jan 18, 2007

  2. albert.mills

    Ken Lucke Guest

    Yes.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 18, 2007

  3. albert.mills

    bluezfolk Guest

    At the rate things evolve in the field of technology you'll want a
    new one long before 5 years. My first digital camera was still working
    fine after about 3-4 years when I gave it to my son, it'll probably
    still be OK when he upgrades.

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jan 18, 2007
  4. albert.mills

    ray Guest

    mostly, if you pick an 'upscale' model from a major manufacturer I think
    you should not have any problems. I've had a Kodak DC210+ for six or eight
    years and it still works fine. My wife's Nikon Coolpix 2100 is three or
    four years old - no problems. My Minolta S414 is about three years old -
    no problems. I recently purchased a Kodak P850 - I expect no difficulties.
    BTW the Kodaks were purchased refurbished from the Kodak web site.

    ray, Jan 18, 2007
  5. albert.mills

    Guest Guest

    I have a old warhorse Fujifilm F420.

    Had it for about 5 years, taken 10's of THOUSANDS of photos with it,
    and its never missed a beat.Even dropped on the concrete a few times,
    so yeah its scratched the STEEL body a bit and knocked about.

    The only *problem* was the 700mah AAA batteries it came with, they are
    dead and dont hold charge long enough.Replaced them with Sanyo 1000mah
    and now it goes and goes.

    I am thinking of upgrading to a Finepix F30fd [a top rated job] but
    will keep the F420 for tough assignments.

    K202

    Guest, Jan 19, 2007
  6. albert.mills

    Alan Meyer Guest

    I think virtually all the brand name cameras will last fine.
    The thing to think about is how to protect your camera. Keep it
    in a case. Don't drop it. Don't expose it to water, dirt, freezing
    or heating.

    If you do need to do those things (for example if you are a
    war correspondent) then that's a different story. But for ordinary
    use I don't think there should be a problem.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 19, 2007
  7. albert.mills

    dtong22 Guest

    You are right with the digicam format.
    The only way you may be able to get away partly from this vicuous
    circle is to go dslr.
    I had my Canon G1 that cost over $1000 in 2001. When its fuse died I
    fixed it and last for another 2 yrs. Finally it was over but the lens
    is still in top top shape . What can I say. Now I am into my Pentax
    dslr (DL & K100D) with around 6 prime lens. I treat the camera body as
    comsumer electronics. But lens stays and two of my lens dated back all
    the way to the 80s.
    That is my two cents

    Daniel
    Toronto
    (gears include K100D, DL, A* 300mm F4, FA28 2.8, FA50 1.4, FA 100mm
    Macro 2.8, FA135mm 2.8, Zenitar 16mm 2.8)

    dtong22, Jan 19, 2007
  8. albert.mills

    ray Guest

    I not sure I concur with that assessment. A few years ago we were seeing,
    for example, a doubling of resolution every few months or maybe a year
    e.g. from 1mp to 2mp to 4mp. The rate of advancement seems to be slowing.
    The 8mps have been out for two or three years and 10 is about the max
    affordable right now.

    ray, Jan 19, 2007
  9. albert.mills

    Skip Guest

    It really depends on how much you're going to use it, and under what
    conditions. If you're just going to take it on vacation, keep it safely in
    a bag, and use it rarely, most of the ones from the top mfrs. will do
    nicely. If, on the other hand, you're going to shoot a lot, and by a lot, I
    mean more than 100 shots a week, then you might want to look into a DSLR.
    Most of them will withstand 50,000 actuations, or many more, in the case of
    pro level cameras.

    Skip, Jan 19, 2007
  10. albert.mills

    tomm42 Guest

    We have a Fuji 1400 we bought in 2000, only 1.3mp, but I have always
    liked its pictures, my wife still uses it, but not much. I bought a
    Nikon D200 last year, life expectancy 5 years, but maybe not. Say if
    the price of 35mm framed cameras comes way down because of some tech
    advance, I'd go for one. The Fuji, my wife likes it, the photos are
    impressive at 5x7 (no larger, have tried several programs), it may go 1
    or 2 years more.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 19, 2007
  11. albert.mills

    Greg Guest

    As was mentioned in another reply, it really does depend upon how you
    handle the camera. The Kodak DC4800, 3.1 Megapixel camera, that I
    bought in 2000, is still working well. The picture quality is not
    comparable to my more recent cameras, but is good enough for use in
    several situations where I would not risk a more expensive camera.

    The camera body has a couple of stress fractures that I can only
    attribute to engineering problems because the camera was not abused in
    any way.

    With reasonable handling habits, I think that the majority of cameras
    will last for five years.

    Greg

    Greg, Jan 19, 2007
  12. Yes. Thankfully the manifacturers seems to turn their attention towards
    things like image stabilization and better noise handling at high ISO.
    I my view, these things are more important than the extra mega pixels.

    After that, we can hopefully get better glass in the small cameras,
    better movie recordings and whatever I've forgotten.

    I don't say that we will not reach a plateau, where most people won't
    really know this years models from the next, but I don't think we're
    there quite yet.

    Toke Eskildsen, Jan 19, 2007
  13. albert.mills

    timeOday Guest

    I agree. Resolution is plenty high even for 8x10 prints (which almost
    nobody actually makes), 4 GB SD cards are cheap as dirt, battery life is
    good.

    I'd love to have better light sensitivity / lower noise, but apparently
    the sensors are already fairly close to optimal so it's back to how much
    light you collect, which means bulky expensive lenses that don't follow
    Moore's law.

    I'd would like to see vast improvements in movie modes. I'd love to
    have 1080p @ 60 fps so I could do digital zoom, image stabilization,
    and fluid slow-mo in postprocessing, but I'm sure very few people care
    so it will never happen.

    timeOday, Jan 20, 2007
  14. albert.mills

    Paul Rubin Guest

    8GB is even cheaper. I just can't believe this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211148

    I'm tempted to order one even though I don't think I have any devices
    that can use it. I'd figure out something (SD to CF adapter maybe, or
    just put it in an SDHC card reader dongle and use it as a pen drive).
    Nah, look at the lenses in pocket sized APS film cameras that I think
    are even still being made. They could use bigger sensors but I doubt
    they will. They could increase pixel size by decreasing pixel count,
    but I'm sure they won't.
    That's probably coming.

    By the way I bought my Canon S100 in mid 2000, and I stayed very happy
    with it til I had an accident with it at the beach a year or so ago.
    It was very solidly built, reasonably responsive, and its 2 MP were
    always enough for me. The A530 that I replaced it with is more modern
    but is built like a toy by comparison. The S100 cost $700 when it was
    new but you can probably get one for a tenth of that on ebay now.

    I'd really like a VGA-resolution camcorder in an A530-like package.
    That means it should support mpeg4 at various reasonable bit rates,
    have good built-in stereo microphones and good audio quality, and not
    have any file size limit (i.e. it should be able to shoot a full 8GB
    or 16GB of nonstop video on an SDHC card of that capacity), and run on
    AA cells. There's a Panasonic camcorder with roughly the right video
    characteristics characteristics but not enough sensor area (1/6" 3
    ccd's) and the wrong battery type.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 20, 2007
  15. albert.mills

    timeOday Guest

    Figures, I just got a 4 GB from newegg 2 days ago for virtually the same
    price because I didn't notice that one.
    I still have my S100 :)

    I meant to ebay it 14 months ago when I got a new camera but never got
    around to it.

    timeOday, Jan 21, 2007
  16. albert.mills

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Greg:

    That was a known problem with the DC4800's body, actually. Kodak would
    repair such affected cameras, under warranty.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jan 28, 2007