Reliability Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 11, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    About to buy a new PC from Dell, mainly because I've had from
    them in the past, and they (more or less) have worked.

    Was wondering though, after reading all the
    posts on their forums, regarding problems.
    Really seems that their build-quality has probably
    gone done over the years. I know their service certainly
    has.

    Are Gateway and Dell these days more or less
    equivalent in reliability, etc. ?

    Anyone else I should be thinking about, perhaps ?

    Reliability is really my number one
    concern. Just don't have the time or inclination
    anymore to spend hours debugging them; just want it to
    work.

    Sure appreciate any opinions, biases, etc.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Old Gringo Guest

    Just something to look at. http://pcrightnow.com/
    I got everything from them except the CD Rom and monitor. Am very
    happy with the results.

    Old Gringo, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Thom Guest

    I've never experienced the "less" part.

    Over the past four years I've purchased three Dimensions (the latest being a
    4400) and an XPS. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an ounce of
    trouble with any of them. In addition? The older ones have readily
    accepted non-Dell memory, and video card upgrades. Only "complaint" I can
    think of, is that I could do without all the pre-loaded, Dell-branded crap.
    But that's easy enough to get rid of. :)
    Never owned a Gateway, so I can't speak to that.
    As a wise person once said; "The main problem with computers is that they
    do what you *tell* them to do. Not what you *want* them to do."

    Caveat Emptor.

    Thom

    Thom, Nov 11, 2004