Reliability of Provider

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Fred Atkinson, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. If you had an ISP giving you a shaky connection and you wanted
    to prove how reliable or unreliable the connection is, how would you
    go about it?

    I have a Cisco 831 connected to cablemodem, if you want to
    know my infrastructure.

    I'm about to move and will going to a location where Mediacom
    is the provider, but Time-Warner has been up and down. If this were
    the entire picture, I wouldn't care since I will be gone. But my
    father has Time-Warner cablemodem nearby and I'm curious as to how
    reliable his connection is. He's got a Linksys VOIP router (Vonage)
    connected to it.

    Time-Warner doesn't seem to be very concerned about the
    problems we've been experiencing. Truthfully, hey should be
    embarrassed.

    In fact, they refused to take a trouble ticket from me because
    the cable service at this location is in the landlord's name. Even
    though the service was completely down, they refused to take a trouble
    ticket unless the landlord called them and reported it.

    It turned out that it was an area wide outage (that was a few
    days ago). And it appears that one is happening again as I type this.
    This message will go to this newsgroup when the connection comes back
    up.

    I would like to find some way to monitor the reliability of my
    connection and produce stats to show its reliability in case I have to
    take it up with the cablemodem ISP.

    Suggestions are most welcome.

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jul 23, 2005

  2. Hi Fred,

    Broadband Test and Tools may help evaluating your cable connections:

    http://www.dslreports.com/tools

    Fred, we are looking forward to your visiting our office in Asheville,
    North Carolina soon:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-repair-quotes.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Well, Brad,

    I'm in move mode now. I'm trying to finish getting out of my
    old place here in Columbia by the time the weekend is over. Am
    supposed to be getting my household affairs in order in Sylva this
    week. I've already got my cablemodem installed and my VOIP phone for
    the rental house in Sylva. I've got to load my home network into the
    car and transport it up there before I can get fully wired there.

    As soon as I get settled, I'll try to arrange a time to stop
    by. Will be in touch and I'm very much looking forward to meeting you
    and your folks.

    That link you gave me looks promising. A dollar a week to
    monitor the reliability of your connection isn't bad at all. I wish I
    had had reports of this nature for Time-Warner. We've had two
    catastrophic outages down there this week alone. The first time, they
    refused to take a trouble from me on it because the cablemodem service
    is listed in my landlady's name saying that she'd have to call it in.
    Isn't that ridiculous? But, I'm stopping by their office tomorrow to
    drop off the cablemodem. The only thing is that my father will still
    be using their service here in this area and he is using Vonage for
    his telephone service. Maybe I'll arrange for these folks to monitor
    his connection, too.

    Hopefully, Mediacom will be better for me. I've heard some
    say not so. But to be truthful, my first impressions and experiences
    with them have been much more positive than my interactions with
    Time-Warner. Mediacom seems to know what they're doing and the couple
    of minor issues I've had they've addressed very quickly. When I
    squawked because I was getting a private dynamic IP address (in the 10
    range) from their DHCP server, they upgraded me to a public IP address
    rather quickly. My Voicepulse phone didn't work with the private one.
    When they upgraded it, the phone started working.

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Jul 23, 2005