    Nowadays of course we have bootable CD roms - no need for boot disks.

    How do I wipe off the hard disk and force XP to do a totally clean
    install? can it be done with the XP installation CD?

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Rider Guest

    Yes ... once you've booted from the XP cd, it will find your original XP
    install and ask if you want to do a repair or install a fresh copy of XP.
    Choose the latter (by pressing esc I think). Then you can tell XP setup to
    do a full format of quick format and then carry on with the install.

    Hope everything is backed up.

    Rider

    Rider, May 18, 2004

  3. It's on a network, so there should be nothing on the machine that needs
    backing up, anyway.

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004
  4. sounds like a Tui ad to me...

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 18, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    zog Guest

    I do regular backups of my Hard Disk. Yeah, right. Nice one Dave.

    Patrick, the advice so far is correct you dont have to to format first. You
    can if you want to but I don't. The setup program gives you that option.
    Just one suggestion though: It is a good idea if there are at least two
    partitions on your hard disk. The OS and programs can be on one. All your
    data, music, smut (oops I meant holiday snaps) etc can be on the second
    partition. So when you reinstall (I do it about once a year) you need only
    reformat your C: partition.

    zog, May 18, 2004
  6. The problem with multiple partitions is simple: eventually the system
    partition becomes too full and stuff has to be installed onto the data
    partition. On a network (which this is) there is no need, otherwise a
    backup of data can be done before reformatting (which should exist
    anyway)

    Patrick Dunford, May 18, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    Fishb8 Guest