Reinstallation of WIN98 - Beginner needs help, Please!:)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mikita, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Hello,

    When I bought a new computer I took the old HD out of my WIN98 e-machine and
    installed it on my HP - that worked just fine and I have access to my old
    files. This was a big deal and scary and I'm happy to leave it there
    because, I don't want to open the HP and take it out.

    Some one gave me a used HD which I put in the old e-machine. This machine
    will be used by my son for games. I used my emachine CD to reboot and ran a
    reinstall to NOT format the HDD. It said it was sucessfull. Now when I
    restart the machine it does not open in windows but at the DOS prompt. I
    only know a couple of cd and dir commands but its enough to show that the
    windows files are there.

    What do I do to get windows to open. I would appreciate any help or
    suggestions!

    Thanks!

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Mikita

    Juan Pérez Guest

    Try typing "win" (no quotes) at the dos prompt.

    In

    Juan Pérez, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    Did you remove the floppy disk? Reset the BIOS to boot from the hard
    drive instead of the CD drive?

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    I tried but it says Bad Command or File Name.

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Hi,
    There's no floppy there.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand the BIOs, can you give me some more
    direction. Thanks! :)

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Mikita

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    You said you used your e-machine CD to reboot. Did you boot from the
    CD?
    When the DOS prompt comes up, does it show C:\, or D:\? (if not, what
    does it show)?
    [snip]

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  8. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    it says c:\>

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  9. Mikita

    Bob B Guest

    type in 'win'

    Bob B, Feb 1, 2004
  10. Mikita

    ICee Guest

    In that case, I suggest you follow the instructions in the link °Mike°
    gave.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  11. Mikita

    Mikita Guest

    Juan, Mike, BobB,ICee, tthanks for your help. It's working! I didn't follwo
    the we site was too confusing and really know where to start. So I rebooted
    and selected t he option to Format the Hard Dirve. It worked. What's with
    the echo thing and all the yes, no questions at the end i took a bunch of
    uneduated guesses, and it seemed to like what I said. I'm sure I'll be in
    touch again, I'm going to add a network our computers. Take care. Happy
    Superbowl!

    Mikita, Feb 1, 2004
  12. Two possibilities:
    1) At the prompt, type "win" (without the quotes) and see if that works
    2) Do the install again.. and this time choose to reformat.

    Installing MS-Windows on top of itself without blowing away the old
    version makes for a bad install.

    "Nuke-n-pave" is really the only safe way to go.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 1, 2004