  1. Meat-->Plow

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    What operating system?

    Meat-->Plow, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Meat-->Plow

    Saddles Guest

    I just cleaned up a friend's computer whose hard drive was 99.9% full,
    totally sticky, buggy and riddled with viruses. In doing so I chose in
    desperation to delete, among other thins, all Norton program directories in
    Programe Files (no uninstall worked) just to make space on it's *very* small
    HD (4g). I later purged the registry and the system.ini of *all* referencs
    to Norton. You know, it's working fine now. However, a message still keeps
    coming up at boot up saying that the registry or system.ini is pointing to a
    Norton file - c:\Progra~1\Norton~4\NSS\spdstart.vxd. I'm pretty sure the
    registry is not doing this, unless it's some place I can't get to.
    Any suggestions? (short of a reinstalling the OS. And I don't have the
    original Norton installation CD to reinstall that right now).
    Thanks

    Saddles, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Meat-->Plow

    Saddles Guest

    Sorry. Windows 98 (plus)

    Saddles, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Meat-->Plow

    Alien Zord Guest

    Get the symclean utility.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...56c250066dc94&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    Alien Zord, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Meat-->Plow

    °Mike° Guest

    Be VERY careful of what you delete here -- back up
    your registry first.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Meat-->Plow

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    Do a Find in the registry for spdstart.vxd and delete the key or edit and null
    the delete the value if it exists. Also do a find in system.ini.

    Meat-->Plow, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Meat-->Plow

    Saddles Guest

    I had searched the registry, but I was looking for "Norton" instead of the
    name of the file itself. I searched again for the spdstart.vxd and it
    showed up. Now that is deleted, the messgage no longer comes up at boot
    (stopping boot up)
    Thanks a million guys.

    Saddles, Mar 7, 2004
  8. Howdy!

    I second AlienZord - use the SymClean utility and rip all those
    pesky Norton references out of the registry.

    But, next time, don't just delete files ...

    Check with the manufacturer and see if there's not a cleanup utility
    that you can use, first.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Mar 7, 2004
  9. Meat-->Plow