    registry program that Microsoft recommends more than another?Or is there even
    a Microsoft Registry fixer program?I appreciate all your answers and
    comments,thankyou.

    todd198126, Mar 25, 2008

  2. todd198126

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    You learnt it the "hard" way.
    None of the regulars in this NG endorses the use of registry cleaners.
    They are of no good, period.
    MSFT has never updated its old and trusty "regclean" to support the newer
    OS's.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 25, 2008

  3. This is precisely the problem - automated scanners WILL find masses of
    potential irregularities, that are probably just regular information that it
    don't know what it is. The next problem is IF it finds a real problem, would
    you like this automated routine to try and FIX it, or maybe fail and ban
    access to your machine?

    Hmmm? Most of the regulars here I think prefer the hard way and try and
    learn a bit of how the Registry is working and about the way it is doing
    it's 'stuff'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 25, 2008
  4. Colin Barnhorst, Mar 25, 2008
  5. I recommend that you only clean registry entries that you know to be causing
    you a problem. If you feel compelled to do a general one anyway (old habits
    die hard) then at least use the free Microsoft one for Vista at
    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Which I still don't recommend and never will. A "solution" in search of a
    problem.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 25, 2008
  7. I don't recommend it either. The WLOC beta testers clamored for a registry
    cleaner so MS finally gave in and developed one for the Safety Scanner. I
    remember the long, long, long threads in which the team kept asking the
    testers why they believed they needed a cleaner. The team went back and
    forth with the testers for weeks before finally giving in. I figured "be
    careful what you ask for" and never used it. But I didn't read any negative
    feedback to speak of so I shut up. I still don't recommend using the
    things. They are holdovers from Win95 days and most of that stuff is just
    pablum to make money off of lazy users who don't even know about Disk
    Cleanup.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 25, 2008
  8. Dangerous at best, fatal at worst. And useless at all times. I've NEVER
    understood the need.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 26, 2008
  9. todd198126

    Howard Swope Guest

    I can't speak for any cleaner in particular. However, I can provide some
    insight on how they might work. There are various services that the
    operating system provides that require a registration or data to be placed
    in the registry. For example registering COM components is a big one. There
    is a specification for what entries are required. However, the specification
    is fairly loose. There are certain registry entries that are needed, some
    that are not, and a particular piece of software may only use part of these.
    Cleaners will search the registry to see if these things exist and erase
    entries that don't meet the specification. Many times an application will
    write these entries and not realize they aren't needed, in which case it is
    OK to clean them. Uninstallation procedures will neglect to remove old
    entries, also OK to clean. However, software may be using this data in a way
    that is not understood by the cleaner and erasing an item will cause the
    software not to function. In the end the registry is just a global database
    that can be accessed by software. The operating system uses the registry to
    coordinate a lot of functions. A particular cleaner would have to understand
    how every possible piece of software ever written by anyone uses this
    database in order to be 100 percent accurate. So your always taking a chance
    by using one of these.

    I just ran the Norton cleaner to see what it came up with. It came up with a
    good number. I have not told it to fix any of them. If I really want to fix
    some of them, I will need to examine each one individually and will probably
    only remove entries from software I know that is no longer present.

    Howard Swope, Mar 26, 2008
  10. todd198126

    Tom Lake Guest

    Although most folks disagree with me, I like CleanMyPC. I've uninstalled programs
    with the intention of reinstalling or upgrading them (they wouldn't allow an version
    change
    until the old version was uninstalled) and couldn't until I cleaned the registry.
    That tells
    me that the registry cleaner actually did clean out old garbage. I have no stake in
    CleanMyPC other than being a satisfied customer. Version 4.01 works with Vista 32
    and 64 as well.

    http://www.registry-cleaner.net/

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 26, 2008