Registry cleaner for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nalanirak, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. That's just urban legend left over from Win95. Anyway, the "left-over"
    entries are on the hard drive, not in the dynamic hives in memory.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 6, 2008

  2. nalanirak

    TH34 Guest

    If this is an urban legend, why did I have so many unused drivers loading
    into windows each time I booted? That in itself is a problem. I had read a PC
    World article, which suggested a way to remove these no longer needed drivers
    and I did just that. After that I noticed a speedup in boot time. I have
    plugged many devices into an older XP machine and after a while, I no longer
    used them, but I am fairly certain the drivers were loaded into memory. I
    guess there is only one way to prove this and that would be to log every
    driver loaded when windows is started before and after removing old
    unnecessary drivers. That would prove once and for all that as a windows
    installation gets used, useless registry entries actually do or do not load
    during a boot. Can you suggest a way to do that.

    Believe me, cleaning the registry is not my favorite thing to do.

    Regards,
    Tom

    TH34, Feb 6, 2008

  3. nalanirak

    Theo Guest

    If the uninstaller did its job properly, you wouldn't have
    drivers left over from old program. I still have a couple
    from Roxio that I deleted 2 years ago, but they're not
    hurting anything right now.

    Theo, Feb 6, 2008