Registry cleaner for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nalanirak, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. I use it. (Colin shaking head sadly) It all started so innocently....

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 24, 2008

  2. You have my deepest sympathies on this likely terminal affliction. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008

  3. I see we agree. That's a good description - I hadn't heard it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 24, 2008
  4. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    We certainly took advantage of the mild weather.
    There was NO wind!
    Rio Grande is the 2nd most windy city in the Patagonia.
    Dinner was excellent and we had a 1997 Vintage Monchenot, an excellent
    argentinean wine.
    Well, time to hit the sack.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 25, 2008
  5. No wind? That IS unusual. And I think I've had a bottle or two of
    Monchenot - it's a quite dry sparkling wine, if I remember correctly. Crisp,
    with a bit of apple rather than the citrus of a Champagne?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2008
  6. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    This Monchenot was red wine.
    I don't recall white variants of the Monchenots though I will check it when
    going to the Supermarket.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 25, 2008
  7. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Jan 25, 2008
  8. Could be. It's been a few years (was January of 2000, actually.)

    Back then I could have had the red variety, if offered. These days I get
    horrible red wine headaches. Which is a major bummer, since I have a cellar
    full of 1993-1999 California Cabernets from some very good vineyards.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 25, 2008
  9. My sympathies, Charlie. One tip - if you like beer, allways have your wine
    before the beer, NEVER the other way around!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 26, 2008
  10. Doesn't make any difference. :(

    If I take 2 asprin 15 minutes before, stick to one glass, and take another
    two asprin in 4 hours, I don't get the headache. Mess up the protocol, and I
    get it. Sigh. I can still drink whites, which is a good thing here in BC
    where they make very good whites, but it's just not the same.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2008
  11. nalanirak

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Oh no... as the Germans say "Wein auf Bier gibt plesier, Bier auf Wein lass
    das sein" meaning "wine after beer gives fun, beer after wine don't do it".
    And it's true. You should build up the amount of alcohol, because this
    gives more fun. Compare it to switching from XP32 to XP64, that brings fun.
    The other way around brings headache :))

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jan 26, 2008
  12. nalanirak

    Theo Guest

    I had always heard it the other way:

    Beer before wine is fine
    Wine before beer, oh dear!

    Theo, Jan 26, 2008
  13. Trust me, this has nothing to do with the quantity of alcohol. There is
    something in red wine that causes these headaches in sensitive people. No
    one has completely identified the cause, but there are lots of theories.
    What's hard is that I went for years being completely oblivious to any
    problems, and then within the last 18 months it hit me. It took a while to
    make the correlation, but it's now completely predictable. I can drink a 1/2
    bottle of a good Charonnay or Pinot Grigio with dinner and have no problem
    at all. But one glass of Cabernet or Zinfandel, and I've got a throbbing
    headache.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2008
  14. nalanirak

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    You might wanna try the Malbec instead.
    It is not as strong as the Cabernet Sauvingnon.
    Malbec wine grapes are the best in Argentina.
    Malbec and Cabernet are known for their quaility in heart attack (or stroke,
    don't know the right word in English) prevention.
    French people seem to have a low rate to this heart problem and is
    correlated with their drinking of those two varieties or red wine.
    Go figure!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 26, 2008
  15. nalanirak

    Theo Guest

    The "something" is called "sulfites" and there are a number
    of wineries that add it to speed the aging. My wife is one
    of those that are very sensitive to the sulfites and
    California wines are notorious for adding them. As a result
    I stick with European and Australian wines; there are some
    naturally occurring sulfites, but the overall level is low
    enough to not cause her to have a migraine afterwards.

    Theo, Jan 26, 2008
  16. There's a [bit] of an excellent analogy there, Jud - and curiously enough, I
    was thinking of the same German adage, although I was told it in slightly
    different vocabulary. The difference is the same, though, so I assume we do
    not have to call in the Mythbusters.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 26, 2008
  17. Carlos - No, Malbec won't help. BTDT. It doesn't matter which red, I'm going
    to have problems.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2008
  18. The theory of sulfites has been pretty much disproved, from what I've been
    able to tell. Certainly it isn't any different between US reds and non-US.
    (Also, many euoropean whites have a lot of sulfite in them, but don't affect
    me.)

    Migraines are a different animal. Thank goodness I don't have them. And
    certainly there a wealth of triggers for migraines - it varies widely.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 26, 2008
  19. Well, I couln't prove any of it without knowing where it originates - which
    I will not learn in a hurry, but different languages and their specific
    idioms, may require a different set of logics to form the same adage. I have
    my source from German (as do Jud!) and at the very least a mistranslation
    simply wouldn't comply with the logic. If you change the 'before' to
    'after', the logic will be preserved, but the German words are well known
    within their domain, and have been for what I suspect to be many centuries.
    I seriously doubt the described effect would not be reproducible - hmm,
    perhaps we need to call in the Mythbusters after all?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 26, 2008
  20. nalanirak

    TH34 Guest

    Isn't it true that as time goes on, the registry gets larger and larger, thus
    taking longer to load, consuming more memory, thus slowing a system down? I
    know it would be a difficult task, but shouldn't MS resolve this problem one
    of these days? At least they could try and resolve it. I do not enjoy doing a
    complete system reinstall every year.

    TH34, Feb 6, 2008