Registering a SIP client with UKDDI.com

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Harold Finch, Mar 26, 2013.

  1. Harold Finch

    Harold Finch Guest

    I am using a Siemens Gigaset A580IP with Sipgate and also using Smartvoip for
    some outgoing calls. It works well and seems very reliable.

    I am interested in obtaining one more number on a different exchange for a
    small business use and have come accross UKDDI who offer free geographic
    numbers.

    I'm a bit new to all this but it looks like I can register my Siemens A580IP
    directly with UKDDI as this seems to be one of the three options available.
    The others being routing to an existing SIP address and the other fax to
    email.

    Am I being too simplistic here? I've had a bit of a Google and most of the
    info it turns up relates to routing to an existing SIP address or to a server
    such as Asterix.

    Any view/help welcomed.

    H.

    Harold Finch, Mar 26, 2013

  2. Harold Finch

    Graham. Guest

    I use UKDDI a lot, but I don't register my devices with them, I just
    forward the SIP URI

    Try this: Set up one of your UKDDI numbers to
    sip:
    Dial that number and it should ring the phone you use to make outgoing
    calls on smartvoip

    Unfortunatly it wont work as simply as that with Sipgate as the
    target, but there are ways to do it.

    The other unfortunate thing is the callers CLI is not passed through
    but this appears to be caused by Betamax rather than UKDDI.

    Graham., Mar 26, 2013

  3. Harold Finch

    Harold Finch Guest

    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the info. Yes that works OK but as you said there is no CLI.

    I also tried registering the A580IP with UKDDI but no matter what combination
    of settings I use the Siemens refuses to register. Depending upon the settings
    I use it either reports 'unable to authenticate' or simply 'unregistered'.
    Maybe I'm trying to do something that it isn't designed to do.

    It would be interesting to know if anyone actually registers a SIP client with
    UKDDI. I have an old PAP2 kicking around so may have a try with that when I
    get some free time.

    Regards,

    H.

    Harold Finch, Mar 26, 2013
  4. Yes, I have one of my Asterisk servers registered. (The advantage of
    using something like Asterisk as an intermediary is that that way you
    can at least get diagnostics out of _one_ end of the connection.)

    Roger Bell_West, Mar 26, 2013
  5. Harold Finch

    Graham. Guest

    Now here is something odd.

    Registering my PAP2 with ukddi does work, and the CLI is passed
    corectly, but if the CLI is withheld the call is blocked.
    It's like having ACR that you can't switch off.

    Can you reproduce this at your end?

    proxy=sip.ukddi.com
    display name, user ID & Auth ID all= ukddi_xxxxxxx
    password= xxxxxxxx

    Register box= ticked

    Graham., Mar 26, 2013
  6. Harold Finch

    Graham. Guest

    I had a look at what numbergroup.com had to offer some time ago and
    there is a switch on the "selfcare" control panel to disregard the
    withheld flag with a disclaimer/warning only to use this if you are a
    bona fide Telco. Yeah right.

    By the way, numbergroup are not enthusiast friendly as the other
    providers we have thus far mentioned. You may think you are enjoying a
    free trial until, you get an invoice.

    Probebly the best place to go for an ad-hoc 0800 or two though.

    Graham., Mar 26, 2013
  7. Harold Finch

    Graham. Guest

    Ah, cracked it!

    The odd behaviour where the CLI did not go through when the SIP URI
    was pointed at Betamax, and the call itself not going through if the
    callers CLI was withheld have both been resolved by not using the top
    (default) CLI type option. "international"
    The other two "UK" and "E.164" work fine and, as you say, the
    "withheld" flag is not complied with.

    Graham., Mar 26, 2013
  8. Harold Finch

    Cezar Guest

    They actually do it correctly but I'm not 100% sure it's good for end-user.
    Privacy header was set to id and P-Asserted-Identity contains the
    correct CLI. In fact, your GW or phone should not display the CLI.

    c.

    Cezar, Mar 27, 2013
  9. Harold Finch

    Harold Finch Guest

    I dug out my old PAP2. It was previously configured with Sipgate and
    voip.co.uk. It connected to both servers immediately.

    I just tried the UKDDI settings as suggested and it won't log on at all. I've
    tried all the usual settings but it still fails to connect. I'm guessing there
    is something wrong with my NAT translation, maybe a router setting.

    It's strange that the A580IP will connect perfectly to any of the four
    different VOIP providers I have accounts with but neither the A580IP or the
    PAP2 will log on to UKDDI.

    I'll have to put this on the back burner for now as I need to travel overseas
    next week. Many thanks for the suggestions though.

    H.

    Harold Finch, Mar 27, 2013