    just a simple algorithm in the scheduling program. But most workers there
    must be clued in. If it drops much more, maybe I can upgrade to 6 a week and
    be back to where I started.

    Gary, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Gary

    kaydigi Guest

    Experienced heavy slowdown during the last 2 weeks, but you have to chalk it
    up to the holidays. I was still able to receive new releases like Anchorman
    ( only watched it for 10 mins then sent it back).

    A few other things happened, they started sending series disk out of order
    even though they are in stock and in order in my queue. Also disk received
    by them wouldn't ship until the next day.

    I'll monitor closely during this month though.

    kaydigi, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Gary

    Tarkus Guest

    Yeah, it couldn't possibly the holidays. Even though ALL mail slows down
    during the holiday season, that wouldn't affect Netflix.

    Tarkus, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Gary

    Bratboy Guest

    Yup, need to wait n see if still bad a week or 2 into Jan. Holidays really
    screw with the mail. Personally I havent had any problems so far. Which pkg
    do you have as maybe that has an effect too. I have the 5 out deal and
    usually I always get new discs within 2 days of mailing my old ones back so
    far.Usually goes something like Mail disc back on 26th, recieved by them on
    27th and get mssg next disc shipping on the 27th and arrives on 28th. I'll
    keep an eye on it tho and report back if actually notice a rreal slowdown
    but think the xmas mail was culprit for slower deliveries past few weeks.

    Bratboy, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Alot of people got gift subscriptions to Netflix for Christmas, so I
    would expect a surge in memberships in January, which could slow down
    service for a while, until area distribution centers adjust.

    Listology.com has a Netflix Tracker which is gathering data from
    willing participants to prove once and for all what turnaround time
    from Netflix actually is. You can view the reports anonymously without
    signing in:

    http://listology.com/netflix_tracker_reports.cfm?report=turnaround_by_center

    Listologists are interested in proving or disproving whether Netflix is
    indeed "pacing" disc use, but they need more data. You can help them
    out.

    Becky
    Netflixfan.com

    netflixfanatic, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Yeah its always some excuse but I have factored in the holidays. They use
    the old trick of getting a return and not officially reporting it
    immediately. Let a day go by, etc. Then they will sometimes ship late and
    that might push the DVD another day into your hands. I was being kind, but
    they have been pacing more heavily throughout December.

    Ok, its a new year. I'll cut them some slack. Let's see what my average is
    in the next few weeks.

    Gary, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Gary

    Tarkus Guest

    You're right -- you should cancel your Netflix account.

    Tarkus, Jan 3, 2005
  8. And better science.

    Reginald Dwight, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Gary

    Andrew Guest

    The trolls are going to come out from under the bridge on
    this one...

    I have noticed that in the past few weeks that service has
    gotten faster with Netflix. Turnaround time at the Carol
    Stream, IL distribution centre, seems to me, to be at the
    fastest it has ever been.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jan 3, 2005
  10. Gary

    Gary Guest

    How many people are on the basic plan who were doing 6 a week, for months,
    and are now getting less? That's the issue!

    Gary, Jan 3, 2005
  11. Getting 6 dvd a week with a 3 out plan cannot be sustained
    indefinitely; Netflix will lose money.

    I have been getting 4 a week on the average.

    But last month was really bad, I have been getting one or two
    a week. There are all sorts of delays; I think netflix has
    been pacing the deliveries.

    BTW, I do not keep any netflix dvd overnight and the distribution
    center is only 40 miles from where I live.

    slownetflixpoke, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Umm...Nobody *I* know. 0_o??

    Given the usual rotation, even in a one-day area (check-in on Mon., ship
    on Tues., get on Wed., finish watching on Thurs., mail on Fri., check-in
    on Mon....), three a week seems to be the norm on the basic plan:

    You couldn't manage six a week unless you were knocking yourself out
    TRYING to whip Netflix into an early grave, and most have too much
    respect for the company to do it.
    One movie, one TV collection, one miscellaneous, and maybe time for a
    mail-on-Thurs. fourth if I finished the movie in one night, that's
    enough for a week of normal viewing, for those with normal schedules.

    Derek Janssen (who doesn't particularly feel consider himself the freak
    in this situation)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2005
  13. What's wrong with their science? Can you think of a better way to
    establish turnaround times?

    netflixfanatic, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Yeah. Take out ALL the variables that affect the outcome. Until they can
    do that (they can't) their data is tainted at best.

    Reginald Dwight, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Gary

    TVholic Guest

    Oh? How about: discs are checked in and shipped on Monday, watched on
    Tuesday, returned on Wednesday, checked in and shipped on Thursday, and
    the second set are received on Friday and returned on Saturday. I've
    been doing this for years. Sure, sometimes a disc will ship from a non-
    local distribution center, which will add two days to the shipping and
    chew up an additional slot for the week. Sure, sometimes there's a one-
    day delay in shipping or returning, but if your mail comes early enough
    on Saturday you can watch the discs, return them in Saturday evening's
    mail, and get caught up. In fact, if you work at home, or don't work,
    or time your vacation days right, you can watch and return the discs the
    same day on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and get three round-trips
    that week. I've done that quite a few times, and never had a slow-down.

    Of course, most of us in this newsgroup don't have "normal" viewing
    habits. :)

    TVholic, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Based on months of evidence to the contrary, since the BIG PRICE DROP,
    Netflix is definitely playing the pacing game, TODAY!!!

    For months, I have rarely had a DVD fail to be registered, as returned, the
    day after mailing it back to Netflix, if mailed in the morning. Now, it
    seems that Netflix plays a game of pretending that my returned DVD has not,
    in fact, been received yet. They float the receipt carrot for as long as
    they want. Then, when Netflix shipped the DVD they seem to be push it off
    until the next day. And its often shipped late in the day.

    Example:

    (1) Receive Kill Bill on Monday morning at 8pm.
    (2) Mail it back at Post Office on Monday morning at 11pm.
    (3) Netflix registers receipt of Kill Bill on Wednesday, late morning.
    (4) Claims they are sending it to me on Thursday evening.
    (5) I receive the DVD on Saturday morning and send it back later that
    morning.

    Lately, I am being paced at 3 DVDs a week. Many of my recent rentals have
    been popular movies that are new or of recent vintage. There have been two
    that are not popular and I can understand why they are taking longer to
    arrive.

    Bottom Line: Netflix Paces DVDs based on the Subscriber's Longevity as a
    Customer and their Frequency of Subscriptions per week!

    Gary, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Gary

    Tarkus Guest

    Those bastards! I think you should quit!

    Tarkus, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Those bastards! Before the price drop, 8pm and 11pm were in the evening,
    but now they moved them to the morning! What else has Netflix screwed up?
    Will they change the week to have only 4 business days in it just to
    slow down video rentals?
    Which service center are you using? Any report on Netflix performance
    is of little use unless it includes this information.

    Marc VanHeyningen, Jan 8, 2005
  19. Gary

    TVholic Guest

    All I can say is that I keep a log of exactly how many days it has taken
    for every DVD to arrive and return, going back since I first subscribed
    more than 3 years ago. Of the 46 DVD's I have returned since Nov. 1,
    every single one was logged in the next business day after I mailed it.

    I live in Seattle and am served by the Tacoma distribution center.
    Obviously other people have had different experiences.

    TVholic, Jan 8, 2005
  20. Gary

    Biz Guest

    For all you guys that are sweating this...

    YOu need to know exactly when it arrives at their dist/center , how many
    dvds Netflix can handle out of your distribution center in a day, and how
    many disks were processed at that distribution center b4 yours, and realtime
    stock info for ANY of this data to mean anything at all. Unless you can
    track the dvds through the mail service, this is all a bunch of hearsay.

    Biz, Jan 8, 2005