Refreshing PIX config via TFTP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AM, Aug 18, 2006.

  1. AM

    AM Guest

    Hi all,

    I learned that if you want transfer a config file from a TFTP server to the PIX config net will merge the running config
    with that uploaded from the TFTP server.
    So the best way to restore a working configuration is to clear the configuration from the console and then copy the
    wished one from the TFTP server.
    The the first of following commands is quite self-explanatory and your remote workstation must belong to the LAN of the
    inside interface, otherwise you get disconnected

    configure factory-default [<inside_ip> [<mask>]]

    but what about this one?

    clear configure [primary|secondary|all]

    Any comments are appreciated.

    TIA

    Alex.

    AM, Aug 18, 2006

  2. Yes, your explanation is correct.

    That is documented in the "configure" command:

    primary Sets the interface, ip, mtu, nameif, and route commands to
    their default values. In addition, interface names are removed from
    all commands in the configuration.

    secondary Removes the aaa-server, alias, access-list, apply,
    conduit, global, outbound, static, telnet, and url-server command
    statements from your configuration.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 18, 2006