Reformatted Hard drive - can't get my old emails, files.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rajinder, Jul 16, 2009.

  1. Rajinder

    Rajinder Guest

    Hi,

    I formatted my hard drive but I did not copy the outlook express files
    thinking that all is on the server. Now, I put up a lot of reminders and
    telephone numbers in the Task box and my emails in the Personal folders.
    All are gone. How can I retrieve my old emails and task box please?

    Some one tells me that there is programme called EasyRecover. Would it work
    please? I understand, they are called .pst files. When I search for *.pst
    files nothing come. Why? I am using both Outlook Express and Microsoft
    outlook.

    I would appreciate your assistance.

    Also, my signature drop down is faint and I understand I have to click a
    certain box for that too.

    Rajinder

    Rajinder, Jul 16, 2009

  2. Rajinder

    Rajinder Guest

    Hi,

    I use XPPro.

    Rajinder

    Rajinder, Jul 16, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Avoid using the hard disk any longer, as the chances of data being
    overwritten gets higher as you use it.

    Hook up the hard disk in an external enclosure or as a slave drive and try
    the following free utilities
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-data-recovery-file-undelete-utility.htm
    http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools

    If still no go, then a visit to a local computer shop or data recovery
    centre is in order.

    --
    Regards,
    Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 16, 2009
  4. Rajinder

    rf Guest

    Er, G'day.
    They are not, unless you change your outlook express options. And even then
    they are only kept on the server for a short period, a month or so, whatever
    your ISP has chosen.
    And why would you think that putting reminders and so on into your client
    side outlook express would have any effect at all on the server? POP3
    servers don't keep telephone numbers and don't have personal folders.
    Yep. Totally.
    Restore the pst file from your backup.

    You do have a backup, don't you? If you don't then you will before you next
    format a disk :)
    Of course not. You just formatted your disk.
    Why? Outlook express is an email client. Outlook (in this context) is an
    email client. Why use both? You would have to look in both places to find
    the emails they would suck independently from the POP3 server.
    Don't format your disk.
    What does faint mean?

    What happened when you pressed F1?

    rf, Jul 16, 2009
  5. Rajinder

    sandy58 Guest

    I hope your e-mail works here.

    sandy58, Jul 16, 2009
  6. Rajinder

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    So the OP shouldn't be too concerned that he formatted his drive and
    re-installed his OS then?

    You fool.

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 16, 2009
  7. Rajinder

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Restore from your most recent backup, ideally the one you made just
    before you formatted the drive.

    FYI, Outlook uses .pst files and Outlook Express uses a collection of
    ..dbx files.

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 16, 2009
  8. Rajinder

    VanguardLH Guest

    Rajinder wrote:
    Why? Because it was your birthday? So did you only reformat your hard
    drive and it is sitting there with a blank partition? Or did you
    reformat and then reinstall the OS and applications which would've
    stepped atop of all data that would've been left in that partition?
    So where do you save your backups? If you don't backup then you deems
    your data as worthless or reproducible.
    This is in a work environment where you log into a domain? What
    server? The mail server? If so, WHAT type of e-mail account?

    If IMAP, yeah, they're still up on the mail server for those you didn't
    delete from your local e-mail client. The point of IMAP is to keep the
    client and mail server in sync. That means when you delete an item in
    your client that it [eventually] gets deleted from the server, too.

    If POP, they'll only be up on the mail server if you enabled "leave
    messages on server". However, some e-mail clients have extra cleanup
    options when you are leaving messages up on the server, like deleting
    them from the server N days after you retrieved them and deleting them
    from the server if you permanently delete them from your Deleted Items
    folder.
    Gone where? When using the webmail client to your account on the mail
    server? Or on your host after you reformatted and reinstall the OS and
    applications? If on your reformatted host, why would you expect
    anything to still be there?
    So WHAT e-mail client are you asking about? You say that you need help
    with Outlook EXPRESS and yet you mention reminders and tasks. Outlook
    EXPRESS does not have a calendar and it doesn't have a tasks list.
    Someone? You can't remember who told you something you considered
    important just a short time ago?
    You sure that is the correct product name? Where did "they" tell you
    to get the program?
    Can't tell. A Google search on "easyrecover" didn't find anything
    specifically on a product by that name within the first 20 matches and
    I'm not spending hours trying to find a poorly identified program.

    So what did happen when you tried the program?
    Outlook uses .pst or .ost files. Outlook EXPRESS uses .dbx files. Are
    you asking for help on Outlook or Outlook Express?
    "Nothing come" using WHAT program? You just said you reformatted the
    partition so whether anything can be found depends on what program you
    used to hunt around in that reformatted partition and if you wrote any
    files into that partition after reformatting it.
    And with which do you want help? You actually use BOTH for e-mail?
    It is unlikely that you only reformatted your drive (the partition for
    it on your hard disk). More likely is that you reformatted the drive
    and then reinstalled the OS and applications which means you overwrote
    the remnant bytes on the reformatted partition with new bytes and wiped
    out any chance of getting back your data on that partition - unless all
    of your data were in sectors not used when you laid down the new files.

    You never said that you even tried the unidentified EasyRecover program
    to see what it reported that it could find. Piriform also has their
    Recuva File Recovery utility (recuva.com). There are many of these
    utilities, some free and some payware (but might provide a functional
    trial although some only show you what they might recover but won't do
    any recovery until you pay for them). Obviously you cannot install an
    OS and apps into the same formatted partition from where you are trying
    to recover files. You need to install the OS in a different partition.
    That other partition could be one on the same hard disk or on another
    hard disk. Since you flubbed whatever you were attempting to do by
    reformatting the partition, better would be to remove the hard disk
    with the reformatted partition, use a different hard disk on which to
    create a partition and install the OS and what recovery app you want to
    use, and then reinstall the old hard disk to see what you can recover
    from the reformatted partition but where no files were written - yet I
    suspect it's too late because you already did write files into the
    reformatted partition. Of course, best would've been if you had
    actually performed regulard backups and saved them elsewhere.
    What did that have to do with your problem of reformatting your drive
    without first backing up your files? Don't be introducing unrelated
    problems that dilute focus on your primary problem.

    VanguardLH, Jul 16, 2009
  9. Rajinder

    VanguardLH Guest

    Wrong again, richard.

    Formatting ensures the file system's structure is in place so files
    *could* be written to that partition. The bytes for the old files there
    before the format are not touched. If the formatting uses the same
    structure (sector size, cluster size) then the old files are
    recoverable. However, writing new files into that partition will wipe
    out the old bytes in those sectors (but not within an only partially
    used cluster and not in sectors in clusters not yet written to).

    Formatting alone does NOT erase the data in the partition on the hard
    disk. The bookkeeping info is lost (journaling for NTFS), sectors are
    tested for readability and reliability, bad sectors are marked, and
    tables (MFT) are updated.

    It has been well over a decade since users have had to do low-level
    formats specific to the controller used (MFM or RLL), set interleave, or
    other raw functionality of the drive controller to match the disk.
    Users do high-level formats and those don't waste time overwriting every
    byte in every sector.

    VanguardLH, Jul 16, 2009
  10. Rajinder

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    First rule of data recovery: Do not write to the disk.

    Formatting and then re-installing an operating system will pretty much
    render most data irretrievable to consumer level data recovery tools.

    Desk Rabbit, Jul 16, 2009
  11. Rajinder

    why? Guest

    Next will be all the posts about,

    lost local webpages backup,
    video drivers,
    printer / scanner drivers....
    basic isp settings seem fine :)

    Me

    why?, Jul 16, 2009
  12. C:\Debug /?
    To quit type 'Q'

    Check out how to erase yer hard drive with debug!
    http://www.computerhope.com/rdebug.htm

    Heh...old skool kewlness...

    ^_^

    --
    http://www.milksucks.com/pus.asp
    -James Madison

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 16, 2009
  13. Rajinder

    Barry OGrady Guest

    You can't but hopefully you have learned the need to backup.
    If its faint you haven't been feeding it enough.

    Barry OGrady, Jul 17, 2009
  14. Rajinder

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Yeah. What causes that? :)