Reference the poster who had something for sale.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eatmorepies, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    The guy with the 2 canon lenses for sale took a bit of a pasting. I would
    suggest it's o.k. to alert potential buyers to your sale - so long as you
    aren't a business. That would be spam. His eBay situation looked slightly
    dodgy so he may have deserved some criticism - but some folk's response
    seemed a bit too hostile to me.

    This group has had a normal quantity of spam posted without the vitriolic
    response the lens adverts created.

    If someone is a photographer that happens to have one or two bits of
    equipment spare why shouldn't they post to this group?

    I have a Canon ef 24-70mm f2.8L and a 24-105mm f4L. I might want to sell the
    24-70.It may be that a UK reader of this group is looking for such a lens -
    and may have a 135mm f2L or a 200mm f2.8L (that I am thinking about) we
    could haggle over. I don't see a problem so long as these for sale things
    are not from commercial concerns.

    Anyway, I read the subject header before opening a post. So long as it
    specifies that something is for sale I don't think we should get too het up.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Mar 14, 2006

  2. There are other groups dedicated to selling stuff, such as
    rec.photo.marketplace and uk.rec.photo.adverts.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Eatmorepies

    Bill Funk Guest

    eBay's rules forbid it.
    There are rec.photo.marketplace... groups already in place, so those
    who want to look for photo gear can go there, and those who want to
    advertise their for-sale gear can too.

    No, not too het up. But if it's allowed to pass, how many more will
    decide to do it?

    Bill Funk, Mar 14, 2006
  4. Eatmorepies

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Eatmorepies writes ...
    He was a clueless dumbass who got what he deserved.
    Ebay rules forbid spamming newsgroups and they'll cancel your auction
    or, in extreme cases, cancel your eBay account if you continue. There
    are rec.photo.marketplace NG's for posting 'for sale' and 'for auction'
    ads. It's not like people here don't know how to look for a lens on
    eBay if they want one.
    Because there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who would like to
    sell stuff and if everyone posted on this NG it would be flooded with
    dumbass 'for sale' posts. Would you read the NG if everyone with a bit
    of kit for sale posted that info here every day?
    It's always guys like you with something to sell that want the rules
    relaxed, if only for a little bit, if only just for you, just this
    once. Why not use the rec.photo.marketplace groups? Yeh I know, no
    one visits there ... you know why? Because most people don't want to
    see your for sale ads.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Mar 14, 2006
  5. Eatmorepies

    Tony Guest

    I would suggets you either read the group charter or do a little thinking -
    hard as that might be for you.
    If every ahole with just a cople lenses to sell on ebay posted it on this
    group there would be thousands of pointless posts here. ebay IS advertising,
    people who want the stuff being sold there can find ebay without anyone's
    help. Just look at the marketplace groups - whee people used to sell one or
    two items in a non-businessy manner. Last time I went there they were wall
    to wall ebay spam. That is what yo-yos like you are encouraging here. Get
    smart or get lost.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Such eloquence! And it always helps to start flaming someone when you
    don't agree with his or her stance.

    Top posting and all.

    John McWilliams, Mar 15, 2006