redundancy/failover/load balancing with eigrp examples????

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by David, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hello.

    I am new to eigrp, but I believe it's what I need to use for my
    situation.

    We have a border router, and a secondary router. There is a primary
    line between them (frame-relay) and now a secondary line (ADSL). The
    secondary router forwards a subnet of public IP's to a pix firewall
    over ethernet.

    It's this subnet I'm trying keep up all the time.

    My primary concern is failover. Load balancing over the unequal paths
    would be great, and I think I may be able to do that also with eigrp,
    but failover is the ultimate goal.

    I purchased and read "High Availability Networking with Cisco," and it
    helped a great deal. However, I lack examples that are specific to my
    needs. Keep in mind I'm relatively new to routing protocols, and that
    I seem to learn best when I can take a config and pick it apart.

    For instance, in the following example:
    router eigrp 99
    network 10.0.0.0
    Would the 10.0.0.0 be the subnet I wish to forward to the pix? If so,
    would I still need a default route(s) back to the border router? What
    would happen to my forwarding route to the Pix?

    If anyone has some more specific examples and would share, I would be
    most appreciative.

    Thanks in advance,
    David

    David, Nov 12, 2003