    and so reduce the file size to around 200MB.

    Any suggestions ?

    EP.

    English Patient, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Care to mention what software you're using, or have available? A one
    hour MPEG2 file coming out to 1 gig sounds about right, but can vary
    quite a bit.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 16, 2005

  3. God bless my old VHS recorder. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 16, 2005
  4. That same file in .avi format would probably be about 13-16 GBs.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 16, 2005
  5. English Patient

    Flair Guest

    A glance at the OP's headers shows;

    Which indicates WindowsXP (sp2)

    Which in turn indicates he or she's got Windows Movie Maker available.

    If he or she doesn't care that the output will be in a different format, he
    or she could accomplish what they want by importing the .mpeg to WMM and
    setting the output to .wmv at the desired screen size. They can even edit
    out commercials, and trim the ends in the process if they so desire.
    Don't know about where the OP is, but an hour long TV program in the US is
    really only about 40 minutes of actual show once the commercials are
    removed. So editing them out, along with outputting in .wmv format at a
    reduced screen size might come close to the desired (around 200MB) effect.

    Flair, Nov 16, 2005
  6. That they are not necessarily posting from that system.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Nov 16, 2005
  7. English Patient

    Flair Guest

    Paranoid much? Perhaps I'm wrong but you seem to be suggesting that
    'English Patient' deliberately altered his or her headers before asking a
    perfectly legitimate question about video file size reduction. Since
    there's nothing even remotely troll-ish about the post, what would be his or
    her point in doing so?

    And even if the headers are altered, my reply may still be useful to others.
    Windows Movie Maker can do what was asked (and a lot more) as long as the
    change from .mpeg to .wmv is not an issue. And since WMM comes as part of
    WindowsXP, there's nothing else to purchase or download.

    Flair, Nov 16, 2005
  8. English Patient

    Evan Platt Guest

    Funny, I just ripped a 2 hour movie in MPEG and it came out to about a
    gig.

    Evan Platt, Nov 16, 2005
  9. I have WinXP, Intel Pentium4, 2.93GHz and 502RAM

    using AVerTV Hybrid +FM PCI

    recording (in England) a 30min episode of Doctors gives a 1GIG MPEG-2 file,
    in widescreen

    source is digital freeview tv

    I have numerous Neighbours episodes 23min long, 135MB, MPEG Layer-3 ( 512pix
    x 288 pix )

    Was/am after a way of reducing size from my 1 gig to around that 150MB.

    Using Windowes Movie Maker doesn't work for me as after importing the mpg
    file and dragging it into the lower half of the screen it will only go into
    the Audio/Music row, and not the Video row.

    I would ask the encoder of the Neighbours eps how he did it, but
    unfortunately during a big cleanout of my computer I deleted the URL
    shortcut (dammit)

    EP.

    English Patient, Nov 16, 2005
  10. English Patient

    Flair Guest

    Ahh. England. Have you tried setting WMM to PAL? I believe it defaults to
    NTSC which may explain your problem. You can find that particular option
    under Tools>Options>Advanced in WMM.

    Flair, Nov 16, 2005
  11. Just checked and I already had it at PAL and 16:9
    so no joy there :(

    EP

    English Patient, Nov 16, 2005
  12. English Patient

    Flair Guest

    Did you try setting it back to NTSC and importing the file again? I'll
    honestly admit I'm not completely sure how all this works, but it's worth a
    shot. And if you still have no joy? Any possibility you could upload one
    of the files you're having trouble with to your own webspace, or maybe
    something like Rapidshare, and post a link to it?

    You've got me curious as to what's going on with it now.

    Flair, Nov 16, 2005
  13. http://rapidshare.de/files/7724520/David-Blunt-Clip.mpg.001
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7724672/David-Blunt-Clip.mpg.002
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7724686/WindowsMedia.JPG
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7724857/David-Blunt-Clip.mpg.003
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7724991/David-Blunt-Clip.mpg.004

    Combine using hjsplit

    It's a 14MB and 1min clip of a David Blunt song recorded from Digital TV
    using all information as previously described.
    When I import into WMM and drag it into 2nd half of screen I get what I
    PrtScrn to WindowsMedia.jpg.
    Any solutions most welcome.

    Though I have been able it import .avi files and split them ok, so maybe all
    I need to do is convert my mpgs to avis

    EP.

    English Patient, Nov 16, 2005
  14. Not necessariliy. I presume Brian meant that OP may not be
    posting from the computer that he's talking about doing recordings
    on. Some people have access to more than one computer. Perhaps
    *you're* the one who's paranoid -- seeing paranoids behind every
    bush.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 16, 2005
  15. English Patient

    Flair Guest

    Believe it or not, I gave that some thought. And IF that were the case, he
    (Brian) certainly worded his post incorrectly. "Not necessarily posting
    from that system" indicates to me that 'Brian' suspected foul play. Note
    the word "system". Now, if 'Brian' had said, "not necessarily posting from
    the same COMPUTER, I would have bought it.
    No kiddin?
    Feel better now?

    Aside to "English Patient". I downloaded the stuff you posted to Rapidshare
    and figured out the problem you were having. (Multiple file extensions)
    Look in the other thread for further details.

    Flair, Nov 16, 2005
  16. Wuh? All it means is "posting from a different system".
    Completely neutral.
    Many people, myself included, use "system" and "computer"
    interchangeably in that sense.
    I was going to elaborate -- LAN, work/home, desktop/laptop...

    But I kept it short, giving you the benefit of the doubt on at
    least being able to figure out the various ways one could have
    access to more than one system. :)
    That wasn't meant to be an insult any more than your implying that
    Brian was paraniod was meant to be an insult. Your call.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 16, 2005
  17. I've looked for the 'other thread' and can't find it, am keen to read these
    further details,
    can you give me directions to them, or post again.

    EP.

    ps. as for concerns about me changing computer ids, or whatever's been going
    on, let me just
    say, all I've done is altered my email address, I don't really understand
    what people/persons
    think I might have done, let alone go about doing it !
    A couple of times I had people writing to me via email rather than thru
    whichever newsgroup
    I was using at the time, and for some reason that freaked(maybe too strong-a
    word) me out.
    I'm not trying to con anyone, just keep things separate.

    English Patient, Nov 16, 2005
  18. MPEG2 format has some quirks about it for sure. Weekly I have to convert
    the .vob files off of a an hour long DVD into a straight MPEG2 file
    (simple renaming will not work due to audio problems) and sometimes that
    one hour DVD is about 650 MB long as MPEG2, sometimes it's up to 2.4 GB
    long. I don't know what the people making these DVDs are doing
    differently, but it can be a PITA.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 16, 2005
  19. English Patient

    me Guest

    What do you plan to do with the file,burn it to disc?
    You can reduce the file size by re-encoding it using some software such as
    TMPGenc.Changing to a lower bitrate will reduce the file size.

    me, Nov 18, 2005
  20. The neighbours-soap-poster was able to reduce his files to ~140MB per 20min
    episode.
    I could therefore fit 20,30+ on a single DVD (calculator would give exact
    number)
    I was looking for a way to do something similar.
    I'll take a look at TMPGenc.

    EP.

    English Patient, Nov 18, 2005