Reducing size, maintaining quality, how

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joel Dorfan, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Joel Dorfan

    Joel Dorfan Guest

    I have done a number of searches but cant find the answer.

    My old camera is 1.3 Oly C400Z. I always took pictures on the lowest
    resolution (640x480) for everything ie. web, jumbo prints etc. etc. I was
    always happy with the results.

    I have been loaned the new Nikon 3700 (3.2 m pixel) to play with for a few
    days.
    I would like to make use of the extra resolution but find the physical size
    of the images too large when taken in highest resolution. One answer would
    be to reduce the resolution to 2M or smaller at the expense of quality. What
    I would like to be able to achieve is to take the picture using maximum
    resolution but to then be able to make the picture retaining the quality.
    Would this be a mutually exclusive wish?

    In other words you would only really get the benefit of highest resolution
    if you plan on printing a big picture so if you are printing normal size
    pictures then lower resolution (size) is OK? Similarly, I need to choose the
    camera resolution based on what size I want for the final printed picture?

    Another observation, If you dont plan on printing large images but only the
    size that you were used to having done with your old 35mm p&s camera then I
    guess anything higher than the lowest megapixel (2 megapixel) that you can
    buy would be a waste?

    Thanks

    Joel

    Joel Dorfan, Jan 19, 2004

  2. High quality prints at about 8x10 or larger. Just how large that would
    be would depend on many factors, not the least of which is how critical you
    are.
    Basicly yes. Most of us use the larger size to start with since you can
    always use smaller, but once you loose something, you can't get it back.
    I would put that at about 4-6 megapixels for 8x10 size imalges.

    Why do you feel 2 megapixels files are too large?

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Joel Dorfan

    CSM1 Guest

    Get Irfanview for viewing large images on screen without having to kill the
    resolution of the original image.
    http://www.irfanview.com

    You need to keep all of those pixels! 3 megapixel images look better than
    640X480 originals , even when reduced to 640X480 for the web.

    CSM1, Jan 19, 2004
  4. That's about it, Joel, with a few reservations.
    The main advantages of high MP cameras are:
    Ability to make large prints (8 x 10 or larger)
    Better lens quality produces images with sharper focus.
    Ability to crop a small portion from an image and still have enough pixels to
    make a good print or web image.
    More manual controls allow greater flexibility in picture taking.
    Usually have faster lenses for shooting in low light situations.
    Usually have closer focusing ability in Macro mode.
    Many other features that you may or may not use.
    But if you plan to ONLY send E-mails or print no larger than 4"x 6" AND you have
    been happy with prints made from 640 x 480 pixel images, then you probably do
    not need anything better than a GOOD 2 MP camera.
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Jan 19, 2004