Red Hat Defines end of Red Hat Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    Got this in my e-mail overnight:

    Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.

    This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
    discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
    migration to another Red Hat solution.

    As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
    errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
    31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
    Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
    another product in the Red Hat Linux line.

    With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
    find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing. We understand
    that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
    and implementation. We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
    customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
    possible. Details:

    ****************
    If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
    28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
    years for the price of one.)

    ****************
    In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
    to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:

    * What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux?

    * Are there other migration alternatives?

    * How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
    above?

    * What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?

    ****************

    Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
    whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
    Center:

    http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

    Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:

    https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/

    Sincerely,

    Red Hat, Inc.

    [*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
    regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
    http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

    --the Red Hat Network Team

    steve, Nov 3, 2003

  2. steve

    Tony Guest

    fedora ( what will be left of redhat once all the logo's are removed )
    should be up on ftp.wicks.co.nz in a week or so.

    http://fedora.redhat.com

    Tony, Nov 3, 2003

  3. steve

    Mutley Guest

    Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
    addition US$179.

    The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

    Mutley, Nov 3, 2003
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Mutley allegedly said:
    They have moved it to a "Mozilla" model. The community develops it, and Red
    Hat provide a fixed amount of funding for development. It becomes the "farm
    team" for the 'enterprise' version.

    The new version will be known as "Fedora Core" or "Fedora".

    I have Fedora Beta3 installed on one system.....the V1.0 release is due out
    later this week - fingers crossed.

    http://fedora.redhat.com

    steve, Nov 4, 2003
  5. steve

    Mutley Guest

    How does the beta run??

    Mutley, Nov 4, 2003
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    Mutley allegedly said:
    It's been running non-stop for 2 weeks with no issues......but then I have
    simply made it a file/print server and left it sitting there crunching
    [email protected] work units.

    steve, Nov 4, 2003
  7. Hi there,
    Quite possibly so...Redhat have always been the 'corporate' Linux, and this
    move is just a focusing of their core business...

    Never mind, plenty of free ones exist still and continue to appear on an
    almost daily basis...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 4, 2003
  8. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    Suuuuuure! Try moving your core business systems once a year, let
    alone "on a daily basis".....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 4, 2003
  9. Hi there,
    Not quite the point I intended to make, I meant that new Linux distros
    for us 'mere mortals' appear almost daily, and that we are not stuck
    for choice even without a free version of Redhat (or whatever name it
    will become)...

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 5, 2003
  10. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    I have about half a dozen to look after, and I'm not happy, sorry! If
    I'd got about 20, I'd be homicidal......

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 5, 2003
  11. steve

    Lennier Guest

    Well you don't have to do that.

    If needs be you can install upgrades yourself - you do not need RPMs of
    your system.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Nov 5, 2003
  12. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    Lenny, you are a right pillock, aren't you. Why do you think that
    people use RPMs and other packaging systems? It's to reduce the amount
    of administration work that has to be done.

    Suuuuure you can put on patches yourself. Suuuuuure you can do
    dependency checking yourself. But these are live systems and a) it all
    takes time and b) if you make a mistake in the checking your head will
    roll.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 5, 2003
  13. steve

    garth algar Guest

    So as an enterprise user, are you going to use RHEL or Fedora ?
    Or do you think you will migrate to a different distro ?

    garth algar, Nov 5, 2003
  14. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    Haven't decided. I'm not keen on paying RH buckets of money. I'm happy
    with Debian. I'm not too keen on Mandrake.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 6, 2003
  15. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    but one of the patches requires particualr libraries, and particular
    kernel version... what if I dont upgrade, I get stuck with an unpatched
    system.

    T.N.O., Nov 6, 2003