    is no capability for shoeing on an external flash.

    Anyone who has one or has used one care to comment?

    al

    al, Aug 21, 2005

  2. al

    SleeperMan Guest

    most of compact cameras have only limited red eye reduction. In S2 manual
    clearly says that you must say to people that they MUST look into that
    orange little LED when shooting or reduction won't be good. From my
    experience, this reduction is sometimes good, sometimes less good, but it's
    not that bad, in fact, it's just comparable with other cameras.

    As for external flash, no it doesn't have connector for it, but you can use
    slave-operated flash (on ewho has photodiode for triggering). I have one,
    whihc i made it from old (but good - lead number 26) analog flash and works
    excellent - scene is totally excellent lighted from 8 or more metres away
    when using it...Downside is that these flashes are prone to triggereing with
    other flashes (if you are shooting where's a lot of other people also
    shooting)...

    SleeperMan, Aug 21, 2005

  3. al

    per Guest

    Eyes give red reflections when the angle between the flash position and the
    lens centre is small enough to reflect the light from the bottom of the eyes
    back into the lens.
    The trick is to make the pop up flash rise high above the lens center.
    The S2IS lifts the flash only semi high, and at short distances, below a
    meter or so, there are no red eyes, but at longer distances the reflection
    angle becomes too small, and red eyes gets more of a problem.
    /per

    per, Aug 21, 2005
  4. al

    al Guest

    Is it especially low a flash compared to the popup flashes on other cameras
    such as the Fuji S7000?

    al, Aug 21, 2005
  5. As has been said, the Canon S2 IS is not so different from most any
    Point&Shoot camera when it comes to red-eye. Only when there is considerable
    distance between the lens and the flash will red-eye be eliminated.

    What I use is RedEyePro to remove the red-eye. RedEyePro is a PhotoShop
    compatible plug-in I use with PaintShopPro 9. As long as the red-eye takes
    up a few dozen pixels, RedEyePro will determine the real eye color and
    restore it.

    www.andromeda.com

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 23, 2005
  6. David,

    the color is always black.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 24, 2005
  7. If that were true, then removing red-eye would be simple and not require any
    special effort. Just paint over the open iris with black and I'd be done.
    The red-eye I experience with the Eastern European part of my family is like
    that. My wife and my direct blood relatives all have dark brown eyes and
    virtually never have red-eye in flash photos. When we do, it's like you
    describe - the open iris is red, not black. With our daughter-in-law and all
    the fair skin and blue eyes of the beautiful grandchildren she produced, we
    now have bright red eyes where the red covers most or all of the normal
    color of the eye. Simply painting over the red with black doesn't work.
    RedEyePro will recover the natural eye color in these cases, as long as
    there are enough pixels for the software to work with.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 28, 2005
  8. David,

    oh, that's news to me. I have always only seen photos where the
    inner black circle, the pupil, is red, never the iris. (Please
    see
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/biology/humansasorganisms/4nervoussystemrev6.shtml
    to be sure we're talking about the same thing.)

    The cause is that light enters the eye through the wide pupil
    and illuminates the red retina, which is what you then see
    through the pupil.

    I cannot understand how the red light could shine through the
    non-transparent iris. I still suspect you're mistaken. Do you
    have a sample photo somewhere?

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 28, 2005
  9. Since I clean up red-eye within a day or two of when I take the shot, the
    only examples I could find were from today, and they both support your
    theory because the subject was not looking directly into the camera. That
    is, the red was restricted to only the opening of the iris. In particular,
    my 18-year-old granddaughter's eyes will reflect back so much bright red
    light, that it causes a kind of blooming or glare in the image that spills
    over into the colored part of the eye. RedEyePro can deal with this
    properly.

    Have you ever taken a picture of a cat, or some nocturnal animal at night
    with flash right in their face? I have, and what I got was these two huge
    glowing lights that were twice the size of the animals eyes. That is the
    phenomenon I'm talking about. The people on my side of the family all have
    dark eyes and medium complexions. If we show any red-eye, it's as you
    describe, not the two bright headlights my granddaughters, and now my
    grandson, manifest.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Aug 29, 2005
  10. David,

    ah, that's a phenomenon I did not consider.
    I don't remember offhand. Would have to see a sample.

    Anyway, we've discussed the problem thoroughly and made it all
    clear.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 29, 2005