    I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
    necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
    recover automatically once the broadband is restored?

    Scott, Jun 18, 2014

  2. should recover automatically.

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jun 18, 2014

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks for the rapid response. Your broadband is clearly working
    okay!

    Scott, Jun 18, 2014
  4. Scott

    Martin Brown Guest

    Unless it is the modem that has crashed. The faster things get the more
    prone to having occasional SNAFUs they seem to become.

    Martin Brown, Jun 18, 2014
  5. Scott

    Graham J Guest

    Depends how it fails.

    The conventional configuration at the customer end is:

    1) fibre arrives at street cabinet

    2) is converted to VDSL in a sort of DSLAM, and delivered over copper

    3) copper arrives in customer premises, and connects to VDSL modem
    provided by BT

    4) Router (provided by customer) receives signal on WAN port via Ethernet

    5) your PC connects to Router's LAN port (either by Ethernet or WiFi)

    ----------------

    If the fibre fails your router will report no PPP connection. You can
    find this out by monitoring the status page in the router. Some routers
    will indicate this via LEDs. Depending on the router, it may be
    necessary to restart it to invoke a new PPP connection, but unlikely.
    If the router itself is the cause of failure you might have to replace it.

    If your PC can see the router's status page it should not be necessary
    to restart the PC once the router indicates that the PPP connection is
    good. Of course if your PC is misconfigured all bets are off.

    If your ISP operates many DNS servers, several of which might be out of
    action at any one time (as is apparently true for BT) it may be necesary
    to reboot the router and/or your PC even if the fibre connection has not
    actually failed.

    The VDSL modem may also have LEDs which indicate whether it has sync -
    this of course is only sync with the DSLAM in the street cabinet. It
    may be necessary to restart it to achieve sync after a failure
    elsewhere. If the VDSL modem is the cause of the failure you might have
    to get BT to replace it.

    You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
    think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
    provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem. These
    integrated routers might give some performance parameters for the VDSL
    modem (sync speed, noise margin, attenuation); and this information
    might be useful in identifying unreliabilities in the copper connection
    to the street cabinet. Such unreliabilities (intermittent joints,
    crossed pairs, crosstalk, RFI, and the like) are just as likely to occur
    as with the longer copper run used by ADSL. BT do not appear to provide
    this information from their VDSL modem, and I've never known a VDSL
    installation engineer attempt to obtain these details. However for ADSL
    an engineer attending to resolve a fault will bring test equipment to
    show the line performance. Maybe others can report whether BT engineers
    carry and know how to use VDSL testgear.

    So there is no simple answer ..

    Graham J, Jun 19, 2014
  6. Scott

    Andy Burns Guest

    Officially correct, but with a nod and a wink you could use your own
    integrated router and keep the modem on a shelf somewhere in case you
    have problems and need to re-install it for an official support visit.

    Andy Burns, Jun 19, 2014
  7. Scott

    Mark Guest

    IIRC Plusnet were considering offerring a VDSL router.

    I believe you can hack the BT modem to get stats but I haven't tried
    it.

    Mark, Jun 19, 2014
  8. Scott

    Graham J Guest

    Let us know when you do ...

    Graham J, Jun 19, 2014
  9. Plusnet Support Team, Jun 19, 2014
  10. Scott

    NY Guest

    I thought the separate modem-and-router configuration was no longer
    necessary, just as installation of the VDSL modem (or integrated
    modem-router) is no longer mandatory.

    Certainly I've installed a VDSL modem/router for a customer. It was a BT
    device (branded as a HomeHub), so maybe it's a special case.

    So have any non-BT ISPs started supplying integrated modem/routers and
    allowing customer installation of the equipment?

    NY, Jun 19, 2014
  11. Scott

    NY Guest

    Bob: what's Plusnet's current solution? Do they supply a WAN router to be
    used with a BT-installed BT modem, or do they supply a 3rd-party
    modem/router and allow the customer to install it?

    NY, Jun 19, 2014
  12. : Certainly I've installed a VDSL modem/router for a customer. It was a BT
    : device (branded as a HomeHub), so maybe it's a special case.

    : So have any non-BT ISPs started supplying integrated modem/routers and
    : allowing customer installation of the equipment?

    Sky do this as well. They have the own integrated VSDL modem/router

    Brian McIlwrath, Jun 19, 2014
  13. Scott

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Jun 19, 2014
  14. All three should recover automatically.

    R. Mark Clayton, Jun 19, 2014
  15. We supply a WAN router (modified Technicolor 582n). The engineer will
    provide/install an Openreach-supplied VDSL modem.

    Nothing stopping you sourcing and using your own combined VDSL
    modem/router though (that's what I've done).

    We're looking at supplying an integrated device in the not-too-distant
    future.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jun 20, 2014
  16. I believe EE do as well.

    Plusnet Support Team, Jun 20, 2014
  17. My ISP (not Plusnet) supply the same router, also customised. There
    isn't very much in the way of interesting technical info to look at in
    the setup pages (as with a Draytek for instance), but it works well.
    Not always the best arrangement. Better for neatness of course to have
    everything in the same box, but you have less freedom about where to
    position the router for best wireless performance. Not necessarily a
    problem but something to be aware of.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 20, 2014
  18. Scott

    Bob Eager Guest

    Lots of options. I use an integrated Draytek VDSL router. It also
    provides 3G fallback, supports IPv6, etc. No wireless...I use a separate,
    optimally positioned AP for that.

    Bob Eager, Jun 20, 2014
  19. Scott

    grinch Guest

    I have a cisco867vae which works without the need for the BT modem,which
    got alarmingly hot. I also use an old draytek as an AP

    grinch, Jun 20, 2014
  20. Scott

    Mark Guest

    Can you recommend one? I want to replace the router anyway so getting
    an integrated modem may be the way to go.
    Can you reveal the possible candidates?

    Mark, Jun 24, 2014