    Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record current
    BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
    down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Never thought of that, thanks.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Kenny

    Guest Guest

    It works because "print screen" use a BIOS call and doesn't depend on an
    OS to be loaded. Some of the graphic chars. may be gibberish and it may take
    a form feed to get the page out, but the text and settings should appear
    fine.

    \

    Guest, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In

    Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

    Ken Blake, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Kenny

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Kenny

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Aug 9, 2003
  8. However, some modern PC printers operate in graphics mode exclusively
    and cannot print ASCII characters, that is, they are dependent on
    Windows device drivers. Also, most BIOS' can't use "print screen" with
    USB printers.

    So this trick won't work with some newer printers.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 9, 2003
  9. Kenny

    mark mandell Guest

    CMOSSAVE which is a freeware/shareware program already mentioned is an
    excellent DOS program. And the $10 fee is if you intend distributing to
    others, otherwise free AFAIK.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandell, Aug 9, 2003
  10. The solution to which is to get an old dot matrix somethingorother from a
    second hand shop and a parallel port card and shove it onto that.

    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 9, 2003

  11. The Ultimate Boot Disk allow you to do a backup of your CMOS settings IIRC

    http://www.startdisk.com/

    Simon Comeau Martel, Aug 9, 2003
  12. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Not with a usb printer

    Plato, Aug 9, 2003
  13. Except under Windows...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In

    If you read the paragraph I wrote above in isloation, of course what I said is inaccurate and your addition is correct. But read it in the context of the thread, as a reply to what's quoted above my message, and your reply adds nothing.

    Of *course*, "except under Windows." But we're not talking about Windows; we're talking about using PrintScrn from within the BIOS setup screens.

    Ken Blake, Aug 9, 2003
  15. Ken...I hate it when I forget a smiley. It really does change the
    context of a message, doesn't it? :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 9, 2003
  16. Kenny

    Ken Blake Guest

    In

    Yes it does. In that case, my apologies for my testy reply.

    Ken Blake, Aug 9, 2003