  1. CCouch

    CCouch Guest

    Looking for recommended specs, thanks

    CCouch, Nov 13, 2012

  2. CCouch

    Paul Guest

    I've run Win98SE on a Core2 Duo with a motherboard
    using a VIA chipset and an old video card. Only one
    processor core is recognized in Win98, and when
    you install the OS, there is a hack you have to
    do, so the OS "won't see too much RAM".

    Basically, it's a lot of work chasing down this
    flavor of question. It's one thing to find a
    single motherboard that does the job, versus
    finding "the best" board, of the ones where it
    will work.

    In the case of the Core2, the magic ingredient was
    the VIA chipset. VIA is no longer in the desktop business,
    but still does computer components. And the board
    I used for Win98, has been out of production for a year
    or two. I doubt an Intel chipset would be quite as
    "friendly". On the one hand, Win98 might see
    the hard drive OK, but there's no guarantee on
    anything else.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 13, 2012