Recommendations requested for a replacement for Norton System Works 2003

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Good morning, all.

    I'd previous posted a request for advice on an anti-virus
    program to replace NAV and got some excellent advice (but
    haven't changed yet). Now, I'd like to expand my request for
    experienced user help on broad-sprectrum system utilities,
    such are in Norton System Works.

    I've been a happy camper with System Works from 2000 through
    my current 2003. I haven't upgraded to 2004/5 yet because
    2003 seems to be working fine, 2004/5 is expensive, I don't
    like its complex activation scheme, and it is buggy and
    difficult to get running (or, so I've read).

    So what would readers of this post recommend for me? Are
    there competing all-in-one packages for things like Norton
    Utilities and Norton Anti-Virus, and the other stuff like
    System Works corrals?

    Or, am I better off individually choosing each type of system
    utility I need, including anti-virus.

    I'm much appreciate constructive suggestions, other than
    comments like "lose Norton". Thank you.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 6, 2004

  2. All Things Mopar

    EricP Guest

    IOLO System Mechanic Pro

    EricP, Oct 6, 2004

  3. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    Never, ever trust your security to one product
    alone, particularly one product that tries to
    be everything and fails miserably.

    I do NOT recommend ANY all-in-one package.

    °Mike°, Oct 6, 2004
  4. EricP commented courteously ...
    Thanks, Eric.

    I've not heard of this program before but Googled for it and
    went to IOLO's web site. I read quite a bit of the
    information there but came away wondering quite a bit.

    It sounds as thouch SMP has some elements of Norton
    Utilities, but not all. It sounds like it has versions of Ad
    Aware and Spy Bot Search & Destroy.

    But I didn't see anything about anti-virus.

    I imagine you are a user of SMP and like it very much. Can
    you give me some hints on how you think it stacks up overall
    to System Works? There's nothing in my requirements that says
    I have to have an all-in-one program, so I'm keeping an open
    mind at this point.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 7, 2004
  5. °Mike° commented courteously ...
    Thank you for your observations, Mike.

    It's OK by me to be any-Symantec, I don't own any stock in
    them.

    I'm looking for user's some first hand experiences with
    products I may not be familiar with, and then go off and do
    some independent research. I just don't know how to deal with
    "lose Symantec" recommendations because I don't understand
    why so many people hate them.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 7, 2004
  6. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    I don't know what else to tell you -- you're obviously stuck on
    Symantec products -- because I will NOT recommend "do-it-all"
    software, no matter who the vendor is. You should use one
    product for one purpose for maximum efficiency.

    °Mike°, Oct 7, 2004
  7. °Mike° commented courteously ...
    I'm sorry that my response was vague or I didn't transmit my
    message. But, I was trying to say that I am *not* wed to all-
    in-one programs, and not attached at the hip to Symantec. I
    just said I've used System Works successfully for a lot of
    years and just don't understand the technical, *not* personal
    reasons people have for hating it.

    The hatred of Symantec is pretty universal on this NG but it
    doesn't appear to be affecting Symantec's sales and profits.
    The, again, there's universal hatred of M$ and Bill Gates
    but that doesn't stop people from buying Windoze, either.

    And, I don't *have* to buy System Works even if I *do* want
    Symantec. I can certainly buy Norton Utilities and Norton
    Anti-virus as separate program. I don't use Ghost and Go Back
    and the other stuff anyway. I haven't checked on the relative
    price points, but I don't install the stuff in System Works
    that I don't want.

    Again, maybe it was my lack or clarity or incorrect textual
    "body language", but I can't get my arms around someone
    telling to not buy an all-in-one anything or Symantec
    anything but without some alternatives, which is what I was
    politely asking for in the first place.

    Thanks for trying to help me.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 7, 2004
  8. All Things Mopar

    Plato Guest

    Agreed.

    Plato, Oct 8, 2004
  9. All Things Mopar

    Plato Guest

    Because their products often do major damage to folks OS's.

    And removing their products often fixes folks OS's.

    Plato, Oct 8, 2004
  10. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:20:11 -0500, in
    <[email protected]>
    All Things Mopar scrawled:

    But that's my whole point; Symantec tries to be everything,
    and all-in-one packages ALWAYS fall short of decent, dedicated
    programs that concentrate on single tasks.

    If you are looking for something specific, say so; again,
    I will not recommend an all-in-one package, period.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2004
  11. °Mike° commented courteously ...
    I thought I'd made it clear about all-in-one packages and
    said I had an open mind. It is perfectly alright if you
    recommend one program/package for comprehensive or specific
    utilities and another for anti-virus. I just don't like
    "Symantec sucks" comments when readers decline to help me see
    it from their point of view.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Oct 9, 2004
  12. All Things Mopar

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | °Mike° commented courteously ...
    °Mike°'s comments on Norton's "all in one" approach are quite valid. If you
    take the time to look back over a number of the posts in the last few months
    regarding AV issues, you'll find quite a bit of evidence to that effect. I'd
    like to go on record and say that McAfee's Internet Security Suite is ALSO
    quite the pile of "bloatware" and as such adds oversized code that
    significantly slows down the computers I've seen it installed on.

    A better solution is an antivirus program that isn't slow, all-encompassing
    and system-pervasive to the point of idiocy. Then, add a good, innocuous,
    free firewall, spyware programs, etc. that don't take away your system's
    entire operating resources just because it's there.

    For example, why would I need to scan every Excel file on my hard drive
    everytime I use it? Norton has linked itself to MS products in such a way
    that it slows down EVERYTHING. On our network at the office, Norton brought
    the MS Office products to a freaking crawl (frequent 2 minute or more
    delays) until I finally removed Norton AV from every machine.

    This, by the way, is coming from someone who has used both Norton and McAfee
    for years. I no longer install the full packages from them. If a customer
    brings in an "Internet Suite" to be installed (or repaired) I try to find
    out just what he needs, then get rid of the rest, substituing less-pervasive
    software to get the job done.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 9, 2004
  13. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    As I see it, you will never see things from anybody else's point
    of view until you wean yourself off Symantec products, for
    at least a year, and use single, quality software as alternatives.
    No amount of discussion is going to make you see it otherwise;
    see for yourself why people despise these overbloated concoctions.

    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2004