    Olympus xD cards.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Mike

    Bill Funk Guest

    If you have two PCI slots open, a Firewire card + a USB card are far
    less expensive than that.
    Here's a combo card for under $25:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2759792/search=usb+firewire+card/skd=1

    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Mike

    Brian K Guest

    Hi,

    I am also in the process of upgrading. But just to let you know, I've
    been doing photo editing and archiving on an old SuperMicro based
    homebuilt system with a Pentium - III 600 system under Windows 98SE. I
    have 320 mb ram. Believe it or not it's efficient enough for editing
    and processing still digital images. What I am getting the upgrade for
    is A) I've had this Pentium based system long enough, B) it's not
    powerful enough for video processing.

    Some tips: HP Photosmart line of printers come with a digital card
    reader that will read all the major cards out there. Unless you've just
    bought a photo printer, you might want to look into getting one of these
    babies on e-bay. ADAPTIC makes reasonably priced usb and firewire PCI
    cards. Try another Best Buy, that's where I got mine. I use a Western
    Digital External HDD; it can interface with USB 2.0 or Firewire. For now
    I have it connected to my existing system via usb. If I can get a good
    deal on a barebones system, I'll opt for one with firewire connector.

    Here's a few places I rely on as online sources for computer parts,
    cards, memory, chips etc for more nuts and bolts additions. JDR
    Computer Products. I got some inexpensive but really rad case lights
    from them. (For cosmetic reasons, I didn't like the lights that came
    with a case I bought - but I liked the case)

    Dalco and Cyberguys are other good nuts and bolts resources.

    --
    ________
    Brian M. Kochera

    Brian K, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Koutech makes a nice solution: a PCI card plus a front panel
    (3.5" drive bay insert) that has 5 USB 2.0 ports and 3 Firewire ports.
    Nice having them on the front of the machine. ~$45. Koutech part number
    F7002.

    -- stan

    Stanley Krute, Feb 20, 2006
  5. Hi Mike,

    I have a ZoneT, model # ZUC2400:

    - Three external USB2 + two external Firewire
    - One internal USB2 + one internal Firewire

    The internal ports are really nice. I used the internal USB port to map
    into my front panel USB slot because the mobo didn't have USB headers.
    Works great.

    I don't know what you are going to do about your OS. If you are
    sticking with 98SE then you'll have to install the drivers for the
    card. If W2K you'll need SP 4, if XP Pro you'll need SP 2 to get the
    USB driver stack. Don't install the drivers that came with the card.
    Let Windows install its own drivers. I had many problems with
    proprietary drivers. Once I uninstalled and let Windows install its own
    things were fine.

    Also . . .

    You will find much debate on the merits of the various USB controllers,
    i.e. NEC vs. VIA vs. ALi. Some say NEC is the only stable controller
    and that all others can give rise to issues. The ZoneT is VIA, but I've
    never had a problem. I also have a USB/Firewire cardbus that is ALi,
    never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.

    M.

    Matt The HepCat, Feb 20, 2006
  6. Mike

    SMS Guest

    "http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CRD10187"
    "http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=ACC10839"

    SMS, Feb 20, 2006
  7. If you'd bought a Mac in the first place, you'd have USB & Firewire -
    plus an OS that didn't suck.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 20, 2006
  8. Mike

    SMS Guest

    There are also combination floppy drives/card readers if there are no
    free open 3.5" drive bays, though I haven't seen one that supports xD.

    I prefer having the card reader built in as it's good to reduce cable
    clutter, and separate devices all over the desk.

    SMS, Feb 20, 2006
  9. Mike

    l e o Guest

    lol...Randall has to protect his mac because it's inferior.

    l e o, Feb 20, 2006
  10. Inferior to what - your e-Machine and XP?

    Looks like the kiddies have the day off from school today.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 20, 2006
  11. Mike

    H. Seldon Guest

    Randall Ainsworth blurted this out on Monday 2/20/2006

    Everything.... :eek:Þ

    That's all,

    "Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
    you"

    < Colin Sautar >

    H. Seldon, Feb 20, 2006
  12. Mike

    l e o Guest

    We do understand and feel sorry about your inferior feeling toward your
    crappy mac. let us pray and hope you see the light.

    l e o, Feb 20, 2006
  13. Mike

    Bill Funk Guest

    Wow. That was helpful.
    Par for the course.
    Do you get nosebleeds way up there?

    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2006
  14. Mike

    Bill Funk Guest

    In case you missed it, even Apple has seen the error if its ways, and
    switched to Intel.

    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2006
  15. Mike

    ASAAR Guest

    Actually, the reason Randall uses a Mac is to protect himself,
    because *he* is inferior. <g>

    ASAAR, Feb 20, 2006
  16. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  17. Mike

    Mike Guest

    My PC is ok, it's a Dell 1.7gh, 512mb rdram, xp pro. For now I'm going to
    get an external hdd w/ usb-firewire
    and a combo card reader including xD. This combo will hold me for another 4
    months or so.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  18. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  19. Mike

    Mike Guest

    That's a nice piece, but I already ordered and intewrnal card with ports on
    the the rear of the pc.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006
  20. Mike

    Mike Guest

    If my PC didn;t have rdram I'd be interested in upgrading it.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 20, 2006