    I have also considered the Draytek 2860n but I'm not sure whether the
    modems in these are great and the Asus DSL0-N66U which I believe also
    does not have a great modem.

    Mark, Oct 8, 2014

  2. Mark

    Graham J Guest

    I tried a Vigor 2860n and it worked fine.

    When you say the line qualiy is poor, what do you mean? For FTTC the
    line should be quite short - no more than about 500 metres - and it
    should have been tested to be in good condition before FTTC was
    installed on it. Has it deteriorated since?

    Graham J, Oct 8, 2014

  3. Mark

    Dave Preston Guest

    After serious thinking Graham J wrote :
    A mate of mine is 700m from the fibre cab and gets 32mbps down and
    7mbps up using the standard BT setup of Huawei HG612 modem and the BT
    Home Hub (V3 in his case) on Infinity 2. By contrast, I'm 400m from my
    fibre cab and get 74mbps down, 16mbps up, again with a Huawei HG612 but
    I use an Asus R-N66U as my router. My point is, you can go over 500m
    for FTTC.

    Dave Preston, Oct 8, 2014
  4. Mark

    Bob Eager Guest

    ^^^ your sig sep is broken - should be two dashes and a space

    I'm on 1200m!

    Abouut 22Mb/s down but only 1.7Mb/s up.

    Bob Eager, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Mark

    Mark Carver Guest

    My point is, you can go over 500m for FTTC.
    1000 metres here, 33 down, 7 up

    Mark Carver, Oct 8, 2014
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    It is pretty expensive so needs to be damn good to justify the cost.
    I wouldn't mind paying the price if it is what I want. I just am not
    yet convinced.
    I always got slow ADSL speeds and the FTTC speeds were never near the
    maximum possible. My line goes all over the place including overhead
    to a pole in the next street.
    Yes. I used to get around 44Mbps and now get 30 down (actual speeds
    not sync speeds). Upload has declined from about 9 to 6. I don't
    know the line length but the BT estimate says between 34-47Mbps and I
    always believed these to be conservative.

    Mark, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Mark

    Bob Eager Guest

    MIne used to be better but BT cocked something up. Still arguing...

    Bob Eager, Oct 8, 2014
  8. Mark

    Graham J Guest

    The sync speed is limited by the FTTC hardware, line length, noise, etc.

    If your actual speeds are slower than the sync speed it has nothing to
    do with FTTC or the cables or whatever. It might be affected by your
    router. But if actual speeds have been higher and are now slower then
    it is because of contention for the backhaul from the local exchange to
    the rest of the interent.

    Change your ISP, and tell them why.

    Graham J, Oct 9, 2014
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    In the case of ADSL I got different sync speeds using different
    routers on the same line. I guess that VDSL would be similar.
    Actual speeds have dropped considerably and in a short space of time
    which is why I suspect interference & contention is not the whole
    story.
    Would another ISP do any more?

    Mark, Oct 9, 2014
  10. I think I'm about 900m from my cabinet. 26 down, 5 up.

    That's on the "Up to 38Mb/s" service. I was offered he 76Mb/s service,
    which would have cost more, but having seen the estimate on the BT
    page, declined on the grounds that there would be no point paying for
    more than the laws of physics would allow me to have.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Oct 9, 2014
  11. Mark

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]

    If the loss of speed were caused by interference the router would show a
    very high error rate, as the system tries to re-send damaged packets. A
    good router would show this, and a good ISP would see the symptoms from
    their end.

    So while possible, I don't think it's very likely.

    It's much more likely that contention is your problem. You could try a
    speed test at an obviously not-busy time (6am, perhaps?).

    You could also talk to other ISPs.

    Measuring performance using F8LURE might give clues about contention.

    Graham J, Oct 9, 2014
  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Done this. Speed is still the same. I would have thought contention
    would affect the throughput but not the sync speed. My sync speed is
    a lot lower than it was.

    Mark, Oct 9, 2014
  13. Mark

    Graham J Guest

    But that contradicts what you wrote earlier - where you implied that the
    sync speed had remained the same, but the download speed had reduced.

    Which is it?

    Graham J, Oct 9, 2014
  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I am puzzled why you think this. I don't think I have made this
    implication. Both sync speeds and throughput have reduced recently.

    Mark, Oct 9, 2014
  15. Mark

    PeeGee Guest

    If the OP is using the stock BT VDSL modem, it is locked and the
    information is not available.

    --
    PeeGee

    to be removed from a computer easily."

    PeeGee, Oct 9, 2014
  16. Mark

    Jono Guest

    Bob Eager expressed precisely :
    Recently had an SFI fix a fault...his test equipment revealed my line
    could actually support 105Mbps...router's in sync at:

    DownStream Connection Speed 79996 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 20000 kbps

    Jono, Oct 9, 2014
  17. So am I, I think he just assumed that because you quoted your actual
    speeds it meant your sync speed was much higher.

    Brian Gregory, Oct 10, 2014
  18. Mark

    Phil W Lee Guest

    BT still had the Billion 8800NL, last time I looked.
    Not the cheapest source, but at least they can't claim it is
    unsuitable if they sold it to you themselves!

    Phil W Lee, Oct 10, 2014
  19. Mark

    Graham J Guest

    Brian Gregory wrote:
    [snip]

    Correct, that is the assumption I made.

    The sync speed is the limiting factor. Your router should show, for
    both down and up directions:

    Sync speed;
    SNR margin;
    Loop attenuation;
    and possibly error rate.

    Please state those figures, and contrast them with what you got previously.

    The download speed for FTTC is theoretically about 95% of sync speed (I
    can't find it at present) whereas for ADSL it is only about 88%. This
    limit applies because of the way IP traffic is encoded within the bearer
    system.

    The actual download speed depends on contention.

    If you can demonstrate that your sync speeds are significantly lower now
    than when you first got the FTTC service, then a change in router may
    help. If not, challenge your ISP about it.

    Graham J, Oct 10, 2014
  20. Mark

    Mark Guest

    As I have a separate modem and router I don't have these figures.
    My ISP displays my downstream sync speed on their portal. Currently
    it says 32Mbps and I get 30Mbps download speed. Therefore I don't
    believe contention is the issue.

    A few weeks ago I got about 44Mbps download and I can't remember the
    actual sync speed. But obviously it must have been higher.
    I have ordered a new modem/router now. I have been strongly
    challenging my ISP but they say my current speed is acceptable.

    Mark, Oct 10, 2014