Recommendations for Time Lapse Photography - Interval Shooting (correction)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by No Left Turn, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. No Left Turn

    No Left Turn Guest

    Hi Group

    I want to find an inexpensive, 1 - 2 megapixel camera
    to do time lapse photography.

    Set up the camera on a tripod, in a field, leave it a few hours kinda
    stuff. Click, wait 20 seconds, click , wait twenty seconds, click, wait
    twenty seconds..

    Here are some parameters.

    - Compact flash preferred
    - Socket for tripod needed.
    - AA battery powered
    - Not computer/connected controlled...

    Any older Cannon, or Kodaks that will do this?
    I have a Nikon 950 that has around 1,500 shots on the odometer. But no
    time lapse buttons.

    Thanks!

    Reply to the group or remove the nospam and reply to

    No Left Turn, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Olympus E10 can do this, but it's a little more expensive (say $600 used?)
    and is rounded off to the nearest minute.

    Martin Francis, Sep 29, 2003

  3. I just bought an MC-EU1 remote controller cord for my Coolpix 5000. It
    allows you to do time-lapse photography, and it also works with the Coolpix
    4300, 4500, and 5700. You can set an interval in increments of 1 second
    from 2 minutes to 24 hours.

    And I just remembered - my old Kodak DC-265 could do it. That's a great
    camera, and they sell cheap on Ebay (I know - I sold mine there):
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kodak/kodak_dc265.asp

    Tony Whitaker, Sep 30, 2003
  4. No Left Turn

    ralford Guest

    Are you sure the minimum is 1 sec? I interpret the documentation as a 1min
    minimum?

    rma

    ralford, Sep 30, 2003
  5. I haven't used it yet. Here's what the manual says exactly:
    "In these [Interval A and Interval B] modes, you can take photographs one
    after the other at a specified interval, which can be set in increments of
    1 second to any value from two minutes to twenty-four hours.".

    I think that's pretty clear. You can set an interval of 2 minutes. You can
    set an interval of 24 hours. You can set an interval anywhere in-between 2
    minutes and 24 hours. You can set an interval with units as fine as 1
    second.

    Hell. Let me try it and see for myself. I'll post again in a few minutes.

    The point might be moot, however, because the cheapest MC-EU1 option here
    is to buy the Nikon 4300 for $400 + the MC-EU1 for $100 = $500.

    There are many Kodak DC-260s, DC-265s, and DC-290s right now on Ebay that
    look like they'll all go for under $200. The DC-260s look like they might
    go for Under $75! Man - people don't realize how good those cameras are.

    Tony Whitaker, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Yep. That's how it works. You set an interval in terms of
    hours:minutes:seconds. You can actually set an interval under 2 minutes,
    but it won't work. The display flashes, and no pictures are taken. The only
    difference betwee "Interval A" mode and "Interval B" mode is when the first
    picture is taken. In A mode, the first pic is taken when you press the
    button. In B mode, the first pic is taken after the first interval has
    elapsed.

    It's kinda lame, though, that you can't select a shorter interval than 2
    mintes. The Kodaks I mentioned can use an interval as short as 1 minute,
    and the time-lapse feature is all built-into the camera - no special cord
    required.

    Tony Whitaker, Oct 1, 2003