    the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
    manual as well?

    Thanks in advance!

    A.N.Other, Jun 28, 2003

  2. A.N.Other

    Andy Foster Guest

    So, you want to pass the exam without all the hassle of actually learning
    the product ?
    Think having SQL as an elective will help you land a job as a DBA ? With no
    experience ?
    Go to your room and think about what you've done, and don't come downstairs
    until you're ready to apologise.

    HTH

    Andy

    Andy Foster, Jun 28, 2003

  3. A.N.Other

    Lady Guest

    Try www.selftestsoftware.com

    That's where I get ALL my certification prep materials.First, try the flash
    cards, then, for each question, it gives you a detailed explanation of
    exactly why the right answer is right and the wrong answers are wrong.

    That way, you just have to read what you don't understand. An online mentor
    is part of the package too. Within the interface, you can click on MENTOR to
    have something fully explained by a live instructor. - All for $99

    I hope this helps.

    Lady, Jun 28, 2003
  4. A.N.Other

    vt Guest

    If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
    that you do have experience with.

    vt, Jun 29, 2003
  5. A.N.Other

    Lois Guest

    I just took 70-228 this morning and found it the second
    hardest test of the bunch (got my MCSE and MCSA now). I
    had no SQl experience so I took the class first. Then I
    did the MOC thing complete w/2 servers at home, also read
    a very good book by Syngress and did those labs then
    studied off the Transcender tests. 4 hours a day for a
    month, 8 hours on days off. I don't think there is an
    easy way to 'get it' with no prior experience. I plan on
    doing MCDBA (one more test) but need to rest my brain
    first. No other study experience has made my head hurt
    like SQL.
    Take a security test or something unless you are willing
    to put in the effort. SQL is a whole other beast.

    Lois
    MCSE MCSA

    Lois, Jun 29, 2003
  6. A.N.Other

    A.N.Other Guest

    Erm, excuse me??? If I wanted to cheat, I'd just go to a brain dump
    site.

    As you're doubtless aware, some manuals are good and some are a load
    of rubbish. I still want a good one, and am prepared to commit to
    studying SQL. All I'm trying to do is avoid getting one of those
    manuals that goes into waaaaayyy too much detail because it's trying
    too hard to be a full on reference manual at the same time.

    A.N.Other, Jun 29, 2003
  7. A.N.Other

    A.N.Other Guest

    I could do 70-216, but I hear it's pretty difficult. I could also do
    SMS 2.0, but I gather that it's quite an evil exam and it'll probably
    expired a lot sooner than SQL. With SQL, I figured I could learn
    something new, plus get a longer lasting qualification.

    A.N.Other, Jun 29, 2003
  8. A.N.Other

    Our Man Abu Guest

    If
    If there was ever a product where this is sound advice, SQL Server is it. I
    remember some years back a colleague has passed serveral networking
    certification exams and on his resume said that certifications in C++ and
    SQL Server were "pending" when he had no experience with either. I told him
    that I didn't know much about the MCSE side of the equation, but having had
    my MCSD, I told him he needed a fair amount of hands on with these products
    before he could consider certification. He never did get these certs.
    Talking certification without wanting to make the sacrifice of at least
    "getting your hands" dirty for a few months is a bad idea.

    Our Man Abu, Jun 29, 2003
  9. A.N.Other

    Japes Guest

    Took the SMS 2 exam recently, Although I didn't find it easy, I did pass.
    Like most puter exams if you know your stuff and have worked with the
    product you should pass the test. Its not on the "to be discontinued" list
    and I doubt it will be for at least a year.

    Again the 216 is only has hard as you make it, know the core concepts and
    work with the material and its not so bad.

    --
    Regards

    Japes

    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?

    Japes, Jun 29, 2003
  10. A.N.Other

    Consultant Guest

    how's aladin?

    Consultant, Jun 30, 2003
  11. A.N.Other

    WOLFF Guest

    Iam having a blast with the new set of MCSE / MCSA from MSpress.
    the blue one's with the big 2 on them.
    Not sure but I think these are the new HLSE from MS.
    So I would check these out

    WOLFF, Jul 9, 2003
  12. HI A.N. I've read all the replys and I guess my suggestion is to avoid the
    SQL exams if you can find another product which you can relate to more.
    Both the SQL exams I found were amongst the hardest I have done (although
    you dont get scores anymore so you cant really tell), since I like to learn
    a product properly I spent a long time studying (longer than any other
    exams), and must admit that there is still a hell of a lot of things that I
    am learning. In fact many of the SQL MVPs would probably agree that however
    much of SQL you learn, there is always something new to find.

    Dont let me talk you out of choosing it if thats what you really want to do,
    just make sure you can play with the product whilst learning.

    Book Recommendations .....I must admit that I have a lot of SQL books,
    however you would probably find that getting the SQL Transcender and using
    the SQL books online will help you as much as any book

    Good luck with your employment!

    Mark Broadbent, Jul 23, 2003
  13. I too found the 228 exam to be very tough. In fact it's the only one I've
    failed to date [knock]. Although they did not give scores I know the
    questions I found difficult were the ones about designing and
    optimization--things as a SQL admin I leave to the developers. [How many
    developers really want an admin-type messing with their tables???] The
    admin/developer boundary is eroding and a competitive position to be is to
    know both. SQL along with .NET Framework and Web services are areas where
    this boundary is eroding the quickest.

    For this reason I do believe the MCDBA is a valuable credential and set of
    skills to master for those who are considering where to focus their
    specialization. I recommend 228 for anyone who aspires to MCDBA as this is
    a common requirement. This is also a good choice for anyone who wishes to
    impress employers beyond just a four letter certification. For those who
    just want a piece of paper starting MCSwhatever then skip the 228--there are
    easier roads to travel.

    Michele Adams, Aug 11, 2003
  14. Michelle, ma belle
    These are words that go together well
    My Michelle

    Michelle, ma belle
    Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
    Tre's bien ensemble

    I love you, I love you, I love you
    That's all I want to say
    Until I find a way
    I will say the only words I know you'll understand

    Michelle, ma belle
    Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
    Tre's bien ensemble

    I need to, I need to, I need to
    I need to make you see
    Oh, what you mean to me
    Until I do I'm hoping you will know what I mean
    I love you

    I want you, I want you, I want you
    I think you know by now
    I'll get to you some how
    Until I do I'm telling you so you'll understand

    Michelle, ma belle
    Sont des mots qui vont tre's bien ensemble
    Tre's bien ensemble
    And I will say the only words I know that you'll understand
    My Michelle

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Aug 11, 2003
  15. A.N.Other

    Jtyc Guest

    You French scumbag... You forgot to run up the white flag after you finished
    your song.

    Jtyc, Aug 11, 2003
  16. A.N.Other

    billyw Guest

    Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
    Ni Le Bien Qu`on M`a Fait, Ni Le Mal
    Tout Ca M`est Bien Egal
    Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
    C`est Paye, Balaye, Oublie, Je Me Fous Du Passe

    Avec Mes Souvenirs J`ai Allume Le Feu
    Mes Shagrins, Mes Plaisirs,
    Je N`ai Plus Besoin D`eux
    Balaye Les Amours Avec Leurs Tremolos
    Balaye Pour Toujours
    Je Reparas A Zero

    Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
    Ni Le Bien Qu`on M`a Fait, Ni Le Mal
    Tout Ca M`est Bien Egal
    Non, Rien De Rien, Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
    Car Ma Vie, Car Me Joies
    Aujourd`hui Ca Commence Avec Toi

    billyw, Aug 11, 2003
  17. A.N.Other