    shouldn't be without? It'll be used mainly to photograph
    houses, outside, for use in a publication. Thanks to anyone
    who takes time to respond.

    83LowRider, Nov 5, 2003

  2. There are many good cameras available. Some top brands include Canon,
    Olympus, and Sony. Tell him to take a trip to a camera store and experiment
    with a few. They will almost always let you take shots inside the store.
    Also, you can help by going to www.dpreview.com and browsing some of the
    reviews there.

    Charles Schuler, Nov 5, 2003

  3. 83LowRider

    Guest Guest

    He needs to find out what standards the publication expect, then he can
    decide on a suitable MP rating for the camera.

    Then he needs to pick a cam with a lens that goes wide enough that he can
    frame the houses he typically photographs. If he has done it before, then he
    should know the "35mm" equivalent focal length he needs. If not he will have
    to borrow one and experiment. Can he always get far away from the houses? If
    not he may need a cam with very low barrel distorion at wide angle. If he
    can, then a longer telephoto will help minismize perspective problems - tho
    if he is doing "arty" shots this may not matter.

    For house shots I would recommend looking at a model with low chromatic
    abberation, or purple fringing. A house will always be shot against a sky
    which is brighter than the house itself (except at night) and low chromatic
    abberation may make a noticable difference to the final result.

    For shooting a house, you can forget things like rapid action modes and fast
    (low f stop) lenses - they don't move so you can always use a tripod if
    light is low. Don't pay more for these features if you don't need them.

    Don't forget to factor in costs for memory cards - they never give you a
    decent card with the camera.

    Take all this with a pinch of salt though. I'm no expert.

    Guest, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Tell him to look at http://nordicgroup.us/digicam

    If it's a printed publication then he'll want a 5Mp camera.
    Look at the Minolta Dimage G500 ($315). In that price
    range it's the best choice. If he can move up to the Canon
    G5 that's a better choice, but it's about $550. All prices
    quoted are the lowest prices from reliable on-line
    retailers.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 5, 2003
  5. 83LowRider

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    The canon elph 400 (4 megpixels), is a quality, yet completely automatic
    camera that is very small so it fits in a pocket. Sells for $400.

    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Nov 5, 2003
  6. 83LowRider

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    As another poster said, get the pixel requirements from the publication.
    Then allow extra pixels for cropping. Since wide angle shots will probably
    be important, I'd get a camera that allowed adding supplementary lenses. The
    Canon G3 comes to mind at a great choice. It's a very high quality 4mp
    camera with a lot of manual options for growing into using. It also accepts
    an external flash. It's currently priced in the high $400's. Of course with
    a large memory card that will be over $500. For about $100 less in the new
    Canon A80, also a 4mp camera with manual controls. No external flash hot
    shoe.

    Mick Ruthven, Nov 5, 2003
  7. 83LowRider

    83LowRider Guest

    | I'm sure it's probably been asked.. but here it is again.
    |
    | My brother (no USENET) asked me to check what popular opinion
    | would be, when he goes to look for a general purpose
    | digital camera. He is looking to spend approx. $300-$500.
    | What are some of the "must-haves" that a digital camera
    | shouldn't be without? It'll be used mainly to photograph
    | houses, outside, for use in a publication. Thanks to anyone
    | who takes time to respond.

    Thanks for the replies to all that responded, I will pass this
    and/or any other advice that may come along, to him.

    83LowRider, Nov 5, 2003
  8. DC -M50 Gateway 5 megapixels for $249

    Richard Miller, Nov 6, 2003
  9. A truly awful camera.

    Steven M. Scharf, Nov 6, 2003
  10. 83LowRider

    David Guest

    not to answer your question on features, but check out the Canon S50. It's
    at the top of your price range, but it has gotten great reviews and I love
    mine.

    David

    David, Nov 7, 2003
  11. David,
    I bought a Sony dsc-s75 for mostly outdoor photos I take for publication.
    Your best bet is on EBay. People cannot get over the quality of the pictures
    it takes.
    Steve aka Suthern Transplant

    Suthern Transplant, Nov 7, 2003
  12. 83LowRider

    Beowulf Guest

    I think one must consider the megapixels needed, which can relate to the
    needed final size of the image (how large of prints will be needed?). How
    high of quality do the photos need to be -- for prints of homes for real
    estate ad, maybe a cheap camera will suffice, but for fine-art photography
    you would likely want an actual lens with actual zoom (as opposed to
    digital zoom where you lose quality in exchange for the zoom). I highly
    recommend buying an extended warranty -- I have a Canon 10D which of
    course I bought extra warranty on, but prior to that I had a Canon ELPH
    (~$300) that went bad on me about two days after the one year warranty
    from the manufacturer expired. I have a Canon EOS Rebel film camera that
    is about 7 years old that works great, and an old Kodak that is about 50
    years old that still works. Digital has more that can go wrong.

    Beowulf, Jun 8, 2004
  13. 83LowRider

    p.mc Guest

    Hi

    I know it's a minefield trying to choose what D\Cam, I did a lot of research
    before I bought a Olympus C-750uz. around $352 It has 10X optical zoom, 4X
    Digital It's 4 Mega Pixel.
    Also you can opt for the C-740uz around $207 if you don't require the hot
    shoe for a lower price. I have to say I'm very happy with my desicion.
    I've added a link for you to see the reviews, you'll also find lots of other
    D\Cameras to choose from.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

    Hope this helps

    Regards