    pictures in RAW format to a 1gig card. Can anyone recommend a device
    to which we might upload these images while in the field to free up
    the card? Thank you.

    Burt, Jun 24, 2004

  2. You might look at something like the Archos Gmini 220. It's an 20GB
    MP3 player thats is CF compatible. I'm not sure if Archos makes
    adapters for other types of memory cards. It aloows you to download
    and view (in monochrome) your pictures.

    There is a review of it at pcworld.com:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,114898,00.asp

    Weldon Wilson, Jun 24, 2004

  3. There's also this:
    Adorama Super Digibin 40GB Hard Drive. with Internal Rechargeable
    battery, Built-in compact flash/micro drive slot, USB interface.

    http://www.adorama.com/ICDSDB40.html

    Haven't used either one. You might want to search on Google for
    reviews.

    Weldon Wilson, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Burt

    DR Guest

    What about an iPod with the Belkin Media reader accessory? Has anyone had
    any experience with that?

    DR, Jun 24, 2004

  5. I use a remote 120gb HDD here to back up my laptop's 30gb.
    Ideally, I should think that the parameters would be a rechargeable unit which
    has a CF port (in my instance) and an 80gb LAPTOP HDD. iow, the smallest form
    HDD which uses the least amount of electricity.

    Now, that said, the task would be to find such a unit which would likely have
    only a 10 or 20gb HDD and then to R+R the smaller for a larger drive.
    I did this for this Presario 1200 which came with a 3gb HDD. All of these HDD
    with the thin form factor use the same amount of juice. I cannot imagine that
    this unit would need to be much larger than the HDD itself plus a Li Ion 1400mah
    battery pack to feed it.

    as stated already, you might consider going around and borrowing cards from
    friends instead. even RAW (why not use Large-Fine Jpg??) images for a two week
    trip would likely fill up a couple of 80gb HDD units.

    let us know how it all works out... a lot of us here have the same concerns and
    questions...

    fwiw
    chas

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Check this
    http://www.stephenvoss.com/Gmini220/
    Quote "On a recent trip to Thailand and Cambodia, I used an Archos
    Gmini 220 and Apacer Disc Steno CP-200 while shooting 100% digital."
    It's a review of how the two devices worked out for this guy on the
    road, completely w/ pictures. Very informative!

    Hendrik van Zeelen, Jul 3, 2004